The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should I leave the lights on for a Reef Tank set up?
Currently I have the Blue actinic light on from 12pm-10pm and the
White light on from 2pm-9pm. I want to minimize bad algae as possible.

Thanks,
Hopperpa

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 90 gallon tank and i just started. The tank just finished cycling but
I think i need more rock. I have 45lbs of fiji rock. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
524 Posts
You should get more live rock but that will probably cause it to cycle again. The algea at the end of the cycle is normal. What kind of corals do you want to keep?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
algae and lighting should not be linked. if you are getting algae growth when the lights are on than you have a phosphate problem. it is removing the phosphates that need to be addressed and not the light timing. if you start to see algae growing than increase the siphoning when you do water changes and run the skimmer a bit wetter.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
now, is not that the question of the ages. :D

OK, simple answer- exports not equal to imports

what that means is most do not have the correct mechanism in place for removing all of the uneaten and processed food out of the system before it has a chance to be absorbed by either the substrate or the LR. siphoning and wet skimming are the main export methods we have. the more flow the greater the chance that you will get the detritus to the skimmer before it can rot.

G~

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I think Geoff hads hit it pretty well here, Thats why I was waitng for more info on the tank before I gave advice, One is the tank is new, and maybe some of the cycle and cyno and then I agree lights have nothing to do with unwanted algae.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts