The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am on a limited budget, I have a coralife actinic 03 blue, and a coralife 10000k 48", my tank is a 55 gallon, and not much in it yet but a couple mushrooms and a carpet anemone. Any ideas if this is too much lght? Not enough light? I have a coralife magtinic on my closet, but wasnt sure which to use.

G

·
i assume this is no.....normal out put floresents? with the carpet they truely need alot of vho's at the very least.... tell us more about your lights... but either way imo you dont have enough

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know much about them, cept the brand and that the actinic is 40 watt, 48". The 10000k one is 48 as well. Should I use all 3? Im reeeeally new at this, and btw, i meant long tentacle anemone, not carpet, my bad, sorry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I bought the lights in a fish store, each bulb was about $25, i tried finding info online, but my internet is screwey tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gruv,

You dont have enough light my friend. You did the right thing by coming here and asking a few questions.

Simply put, the lights that you have right now are not going to suffice for a reef tank of any kind. You can keep fish no problem, and some snails and other inverts as well. However, you are going to have a tough time keeping ANY coral alive.

Ask some more questions and do a little research on lighting. There are a number of VHO and Power Compact retro kits that are reasonably priced. Good luck!

:beer:

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
the carpet anemone would like a lot more light to be happy. the good news is the carpet will eat raw fish-either swimming or directly fed by you. so it will get some nurishment from that. i suggest getting VHO(Very High Output) lights at the least. what you have are NO bulbs. they will work great for a FO (Fish Only) tank but will not supply the photosynthetic power that a lot of the inverts need to thrive. how DIY (Do It Yourself) are you? if interested i can hunt down the thread that talks about a HD (Home Depot) version.

G~

·
Registered
206 Posts
For reference, I have a 20gal hex tank with softies and a long tentacle anenome. My lighting consists of 2x36w power compacts. That's about 3.5 watts per gallon. I have had good success with both the anenome (alive for 7 months so far) and soft corals. My lighting would definetly not support any SPS or corals. (I'm actually suprised the anenome has done so well) You have about 1.5 watts per gallon. Depending on what you want to keep, shoot for between 3 and 6 watts per gallon. Some people on this board have like 10 watts or more per gallon. This is just a simple rule of thumb but it might give you a good start.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I am sure all my newbie questions are getting old, but I just want to do this right. Unfortunatly, i didnt discover this place, till after it was set up. Luckily, I dont have many corals though.

·
Registered
425 Posts
While I agree that 80 watts of normal output fluorescent lighting isn't enough for the LTA, you do have enough on there for many of the lower light demanding corals. Add the third light if you have it and feed the anemone frequently.

·
Registered
425 Posts
PS: Many of the aquarists up here are using Workhorse electronic ballasts at a huge savings over the traditional aquarium specific ballasts (eg. IceCap). A few have even done some rudementary testing and are finding the Workhorse provides more PAR than the IceCap. Fulham is the manufacturer, do a search to find a local dealer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with frequent anenome feedings. I think that is why mine has done so well. I feed my LTA fresh fish, usually albacore tuna caught down in Mexico, or frozen squid from my LFS every other day. I use long stainless steel tweezers to directly feed it. You can probably use regular kitchen tongs, but I would imagine they should be new.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts