The Reef Tank banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a 150gal reef tank. I'm working on the lighting fixture and the top cabinet. The question that I have is, is there a general rule on how high above the tank I should mount the lighting fixture. The fixture itself is 2- 250 watt mh, 10000k, with 2 48" vho super actinic. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I would have to agree with both Mike and Rob but more likely with 250s and on a 150 tank which is deep I would have to go about 8" and have tall rock work for the high light corals. And 2 250s wont be enough if it is a standard 150 72x18 you will need 3.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the dimensions of the tank are 62" long by 20" wide by 25" tall, its actually around 135gals .

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Removed... I didn't see it was a club post. Sorry!

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
what I did was make pvc racks so I could adjust the height anytime I wanted to. Mike saw these racks and was impressed. The biggest problem with hanging Mh too low is that you cant reach your arm in the tank to move stuff. Having the adjustable rack helped alot

·
Professional Acro killer!
1,131 Posts
No Mike its just that that is a deep tank I'm like you, mine are about 9 or 9 1/2 and 400s on a 24in. tank.:thumbup: And then again are they double ended or single?
you also use 20ks which are less than half the par of 10ks most of the time.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It all depends on your inhabitants...

If you are primarily going to have LPS and/or softies, then 250W, as well as the height recommendations are a good start. We had great success with SPS in the 90 using Hamilton 14K 250W.

Don't get sucked up into all the PAR debates you may read!!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You can read what you want, but experience is more important than listening to the "babble" on RC...

PAR is one thing, how you display the fragments of lighting is another...

Unless a person has a respectable PAR meter or perhaps has done extensive research on all the potential bulbs / products, then one cannot comment on something one has no experience base...

No more said from me on PAR, etc...

·
Professional Acro killer!
1,131 Posts
You can read what you want, but experience is more important than listening to the "babble" on RC...

PAR is one thing, how you display the fragments of lighting is another...

Unless a person has a respectable PAR meter or perhaps has done extensive research on all the potential bulbs / products, then one cannot comment on something one has no experience base...

No more said from me on PAR, etc...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Who said anything about people on RC? Haven't you read all the articles and scientific facts about lighting?

Is this one of the ninnies on RC you are talking about?
http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/
He has a respectable PAR meter and has done extensive research on all the potential bulbs/products.

His data has been available in these articles published in reef keeping magazines.

As of April 8th, 2007 there are 916 spectral plots and performance data available for metal halide lamps and ballasts.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
you also use 20ks which are less than half the par of 10ks most of the time.

Less than half ? Lets see XM 20k run on PFO ballest par is 128, XM 10k run on PFO Ballest par is 172 thats a differance of 44 not less than half if my math is correct. But to each his own when it comes to there tank and corals. Oh and I have a Par meter and a Lux meter to thats how I check my bulbs to see if they are in need of replacement.

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
cgower, Are you interested in Par output to your corals? Are you going to go with mostly SPS? If so, Jam 3 250's in your canopy, supplement with 72 inch VHO as suggested and roll with it. I would not worry yourself with Par ratings and the like, unless that is something you want to study.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.