The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60 gallon 48"x15"x17". Currently have a 48" t5ho fixture with 6 54watt bulbs. My question is would adding the finnex ray 30" led fixture to my current fixture be enough for sps and anemones and such?
Or if anyone knows a cheaper Type of led I can use that will allow for sps and such?
Any help would be awesome! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Don't know what corals you want to keep, but with 6 ho t5 lamps you can already keep anemones and some sps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good man! Thanks. Well I want to be able to keep any coral. Also wanted clams n such. So I was thinking adding that extra light from the led would be enough for those?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Run 4 actinic and 2 10-12k you can have any coral your heart desires then.

Your tank is shallow so you may need to raise the light up even.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok cool! Sounds great! Thanks for the replies! So just forget adding any other lights and just upgrade the current lights?

·
Registered
278 Posts
It should be just watch the corals.... if they start bleaching either lower the coral in your tank or raise the light up some more

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are so many different bulb options:

-Marine 700+ 10000K: Bright white light caters to the biological requirements of corals and aesthetic appeal of the aquarium.

-14000K: Light-blue color compliments purple and actinic light to create custom color.

-420/460nm Dual Actinic: Mix of Actinic and Royal Phosphors produces a light spectrum that benefits most corals and enhances fish colors.

-Purple: Phosphor mix produces a light spectrum that accents red pigments in corals.

-6000K: Balanced light includes peaks in the blue and red spectrums that matches the chlorophyll absorption peaks in plants and enhances fish colors.

-Roseate: Light closely matches the chlorophyll absorption peak in the red spectrum to enhance plant growth. Use with 6,000K lamps.

Which 6? Or do you all recommend anything else?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any particular brand u recommend?
With those light upgrades, crocea clams (excuse spelling) would be possible?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have no experience with clams....but from my understanding of them yes... I would hope a resident clam expert could advise on that... I personally use UV H2ology
They run $20 a piece.

There is a German made bulb excuse spelling geiseenmen or something like that for $28 a piece but offer exact same spectrum and life

Coralife is another common bulb same with SeaWorld

And let me rephrase earlier

The 460nm actinic are the true blue color....that most people prefer to see

The 420 nm are more purple....

Either one is fine the only difference between the two are what the HUMAN eye sees

They both function the same

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet! Thank you! I ended up getting 5 460nm actinic and one coral wave (purple). Lfs guy said that's what he recommends. They are growing all types of sps very successfully under those bulbs. And since my tank isn't deep i could place the sps anywhere I wanted

·
Registered
278 Posts
Also.... just so you know my tank is 190 gallon
I'm running 4. T5HO

3 460nm actinic 12k
1 12k super daylight

It works great for my livestock

The penetrating depth of the T5HO is 24". Seeing as your corals are on the rocks you will have plenty of light throughout your tank....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds like a great setup. Glad I could help. My cousin is an electronic engineer so I may be newer to saltwater he knows his stuff about lighting that's how I got my setup figures out.

I don't let hype of led or MH cloud the truth about lighting. In the end it will mostly all do the same with a few exceptions.

But like I said you can grow Amy crazy coral you want with what you have now

1 - 20 of 25 Posts