The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has seen these or knows anything about them...seems like an interesting design (they do say they can replace T12's - which are the standard VHO, right?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-T8-T12-Fluo...ryZ20706QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Says something about not needing a balast...not sure what that means...I am no electrician...

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks in advance...

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has seen these or knows anything about them...seems like an interesting design (they do say they can replace T12's - which are the standard VHO, right?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-T8-T12-Fluo...ryZ20706QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Says something about not needing a balast...not sure what that means...I am no electrician...

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks in advance...
I don't know anything about the bulb as I have never used one. A T12 is a 1 1/2" diameter bulb which is a "Normal" flourescent bulb that you would have in a shop/kitchen type light fixture. Not sure what diameter VHO bulbs are but a Google search says they are the T12 so the bulbs on Ebay will fit a "normal" fixture that you would walk into HD/Lowes and buy off the shelf.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So these are replacements to normal Flourescent bulbs you would have in your house or store...

I guess I am wondering if the output of the High Output ones are anywhere close to VHO?!?

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
LED's operate on a very low current...I would guess you would need to remove the ballast on a florescent fixture for those to work...I saw some bulbs like that at Sams Club the other day...they are using them to light the jewelry cases instead of the halogen spots they used to use...looks pretty bright, but hard to tell in that environment.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
doesn't look like they are designed for aquarium use.
they don't mention color temperature either.

looks like they are more eco friendly office lights.

J.

·
Administrator
46,726 Posts
Look at the initial coast and $50 to ship one, $15 for each additional, nice deal for him since they are shipped direct from factory allegedly :(

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look at the initial coast and $50 to ship one, $15 for each additional, nice deal for him since they are shipped direct from factory allegedly :(
Did a little computing...and I am still not sure they would even work for a fish tank, but:

For me I would be talking 72W vs 440W (diff of 368W or 3.3KW for 9 hours a day) @ roughly .122 per KW hour. That is a savings of roughly $12.50 per month or about $150 a year! They would pay for themselves...and you probably would not have to replace them for years!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts