The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to this hobby and just got myself a 90 Gallon tank (three months ago). I would like to eventually have a few clams and some of the hard corals that require a high level of lighting.

Here is the question:

I currently have a JBJ 2x96watt, which is fine for my current pieces (mainly mushrooms). If I were to upgrade my lighting, what would you suggest on getting? I hear that the Metal Halide runs very hot. I hear some good stuff about the new T-5 and VHO. Any suggestions? Also, Another Reefer said that I could setup my own DIY Metal Halide system for a fraction of the cost (what you would pay at the LFS). Any thoughts?

Thank you for all your recommendations,

Arbi

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
If it were me, I would get 250w. One- for future expansion , ie next tank 135 to 180g or so and two for the coral growth, mainly SPS's, ricordias (some) and so on.

Yes there is a heat issue. I don't run a cooler but two fans on a timer and it keeps it around 80-81', the fans are blowing in.

T5's are new and as I undrstand it are pricey,but suppose to last longer than regular VHO's

Here is a link to DIY MH's for under $100 here 9look under articles) The ballast usually costs the most, then the bulb and so on. In this case the ballast is even less than the reflector. Some have tried to get the ballast (me) and have succeded (me) but for a little more and some have not.

To most (including myself) the color is yellow, but it's the same color as the sun if you go outside and look up (don't). Some have over driven the Iwaski bulb (mercury vapor) with a HQI ballasts (usually electronic) to make it much brighter. For the money (cost of the bulb vs par - light intensity) you can't go wrong with the Iwaski. Most supplement it with actinic's.

On my next "tank", I will be keeping the Iwaski's that I DIY and add two more but with a HQI electronic ballast like the one from reef fanatic for around $109 when it's on sale. E ballasts let you use more than one "kind" of bulb and not lock you into only using one type of bulb ( the DIY MH for unser $100)

Some guy's use the Oshio 10K and don't use any actinic supplementation. For some the 20k is tooo blue, (me) but like it.

You could keep your 96w and just turn that into actinc for the MH.

just my .02

(sorry for rambling):rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for all the info. Here is another question for you. What if I got another JBJ 2x96? Would that be more than enough light? If so, am I looking at way too much heat?

Thanks again,

Arbi

·
Registered
808 Posts
for clams you almost definately going to have to get halides. or go with alot of powercompact to get the same results. im running 220 watts of pc on a 29 gal and im not sure if i can get a clam or not. heck, ive even got glitter lines!

·
Administrator
48,763 Posts
By the time you add enough PC to equal the wattage you might as well get the retro Metal Halides, the intensity of point source lighting is better than PC or VHO

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi there;
here a qwestion from belgium.
yesterday i was in a reeftank where people could walk throug a tunnel to watch the fishes and corals (public aquarium) , now what i like to know, i see people talking about adding lights like vho and metal halides and i wonder how it is possible that the corals i saw yesterday (all sorts, even sps) 7ft unther water, with allmost no light, looking so beautiful? it looks allmost that the people spend to much money on light, in my oppinion.

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
mandarinfish

I am sorry to say it this way but your description is too vague and your assumption that most people spend more money than they need on light is too general.

Do you have details on the aquarium you went to? Is it possible that they light the tanks fully when they are closed to the public because having people look up into the light might no be good? Is it possible that not all of the corals were real? There are some convincing fake corals out there.

In general most of us have experienced at one time or another a low light tank that somebody has put a high light coral in. Generally the coral does badly or does not grow.

Hmmm, looking back at this it seems too negative. I think what I meant to say was that if you really believe this and have good examples I think you should start a new thread so we can discuss the details.
:worm: :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi mjsandbe;
i'm sorry, but i didn't know that there where fake corals for sale, that should answer my qwestion, couse normaly sps corals got to have very much light.
thanks for the reaction, it couldn't be that they lighted the tank after closingtime couse it's open for 11hrs (9am-8pm) and the sps corals are standing in a place so no light reaches them.
again... thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run 5 VHO 160 Watt bulbs on my 125 gallon reef tank. Thats about 6.5 watts per gallon. My SPS corals are growing fine, but may need a little more light, ie. 1 more 160Watt VHO. I don't have the intense glimmer lines, but the tank is still beautiful to look at, and everything is healthy. That is what is most important to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.