The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 75 and would like some help deciding my lighting options.
I plan for a BB c2c LPS/SPS system. I'm thinking about...

-48" HO T5 with individual parabolic 6X54Watt

-2X150 watt MH with Phoenix 14k Icecap ballasts, Pendant DE style (not sure which pendant, will be located in canopy.

-2X250 watt MH with Phoenix 14k Icecap ballasts, Pendant DE style (not sure which pendant, will be located in canopy

My system requirements.

1. Enough intensity to efficiently grow LPS/SPS
2. Be able to run without chiller in central air controlled apartment.
3. Somewhat energy efficient/value. What should I expect monthly costs for a setup like this? I currently have a 150 HQI sunpod.

Thanks soooo much TRT.

12,311 Posts
jmo of course......

t5's are out becasue they dont give the shimmer like halides. just my opinion take it with a grain of salt

150's are pointless. If you want less wattage go with 175's. better bulb choices with much more power

I would say go with the 250's. Tons of bulb choices and color preferences covered

why do you want DE bulbs?? I say invest in some good reflectors and some SE 250's. You surely wont regret it in the long haul as your desire to keep sps will do nothing but grow if you stick with the hobby

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response FlyGuy!

I have read that DE MH's are more efficient, as they produce more light for the same electricity pull. I've got the shimmer bug now and it's lovely I should add.

I was thinking 2X250 MH's plus actinics all along, but shoooooot just want to consider all my options, thats going to be the most expensive route and may need a chiller. I am starting to save my pennies, I have all the patience in the world.

Right now, I'm considering my lighting options so I can better design the stand/canopy... so that I can include an electrical/monitor panel.

What do you suggest a good reflector would be for a 2X250 setup and can you elaborate a little knowledge on reason for SE? I'm not opposing the idea just would like your insight. I see it as a cost saving...

· originally original
990 Posts
On my 100gal (4', so it's deep) I'm running 4x 54w T5HO and 2x 150w HQI. I don't have room for much more, maybe another halide some day, but I really don't need it right now.

My HQI's are on ARO electronic ballasts and generic $30 reflectors with $15 ebay Chinese bulbs. The T5's are Geismann and GLO bulbs on GLO ballasts and IceCap reflectors.

I just recently added the halides, I had been growing SPS (and anemones) under four T5HO tubes for the better part of a year and I was seeing decent growth. I added the halides because of the LPS on the bottom of the tank, and it really paid off. I'd hardley say my lights are worthless, they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. :D

The best looking smaller tank I have ever seen is owned by a local guy, it's a 75gal with 4x54w T5HO and 2x150w HQI. His coral grows so much it's unbelievable, I'd guess his tank has paid for itself a couple of times with all the frags he sells.

12,311 Posts
de's put out more light until you have to shield the bulb....which you do. and then you have to keep the shield clean. I honestly dont get DE bulbs. :)

As far as refelctors, there have been some new ones out so I am back in past tense of LIII's and lumenbrights being the best and I am a huge fan of the LIII's. Coul;dnt imagine how I go along without them before. The coverage is sweet and your sps will thank you for it. Hated the lumenbrights in comparison. They were the first high end reflectors I had. They put out a littel more light but they had hotspots in them and not near as even of coverage. I ran them for a few months and switched them out for LIII's. Again, both manufacturers I *think*have put out new reflectors since I have dabbled with them so you may want to do some homework or simply pick up a couple of used LIII's and save some cash as they are not cheap.

neuticle- to be sure....I meant to say pointless if you are shopping for new lights for the long haul and looking for power. Didnt mean to insinuate they couldnt grow the heck out of your corals ;)

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
I also have the Lumenarc IIIs. I love em. The light spread is great and they cover all 5" of my tank no problem, I think they could do 6" with minimal shadowing. They also make a mini that would better fit the 75. If you're going to do the MH (my choice and recomendation) might as well get the most from the bulbs. I also agree with Fly about the De vs SE. The issue of having to keep the NEEDED shield for the DE clean is a just a big deterant to me.

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
If you had a tank that was 24" tall I would say the 250 for sure but you can do 175 with no worries.
Not sure on those reflectors, I think they are Lumenbrights. My Lumenarcs are square as are the minis...or at least they used to be. New models may have changed. Check with some sponsor sights. The arcs are the better ones.

· originally original
990 Posts
I'm the opposite of you guys, I wanted the shield. It's way easier for me to wipe off a piece of glass than remove a bulb and scrub the reflector, plus my reflectors will still reflect like new in a couple of years, I just change the glass as it gets too dirty to clean.

There's also the chance that a water splash could shatter an SE, it's an outside chance for most of us, but still possible.

I won't lie that money wasn't a factor, I definitely did mine with a smaller budget than most of you guys. I'm convinced the low end DE reflectors are superior to the spider reflectors available for the SE units.

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm the opposite of you guys, I wanted the shield. It's way easier for me to wipe off a piece of glass than remove a bulb and scrub the reflector, plus my reflectors will still reflect like new in a couple of years, I just change the glass as it gets too dirty to clean.

There's also the chance that a water splash could shatter an SE, it's an outside chance for most of us, but still possible.

I won't lie that money wasn't a factor, I definitely did mine with a smaller budget than most of you guys. I'm convinced the low end DE reflectors are superior to the spider reflectors available for the SE units.
I can definitely understand this side of the discussion as well. Good points. I am on a budget, but I am not purchasing everything at once. I wouldn't be upset if I didn't get wet for 6 months. Still have lots to DIY... and lights can be purchased after the cycling anyways. =]

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
I can definitely understand this side of the discussion as well. Good points.
Yeah at a certain point it comes down to personal preference and to some extent, knowing yourself and what you are willing to do over and over as far as maintained. Cleaning he glass would be annoying to me and that would lead to procrastination and that would lead to les light! I had to implement some personal knowledge of a lazy man into my designs and plans!

12,311 Posts
. I'm convinced the low end DE reflectors are superior to the spider reflectors available for the SE units.
I wouldnt doubt that this could be true

I in the past when I kept my lights at 6" had some losses once due to a cracked bulb........I cant be sure but Im pretty sure it was our cat Bin Laden who was to blame. He loved to jump up in and bat at the ripples. I was waiting for the day to come where he would drown as he couldbnt get out of the current and would break every bulb I had in the process. lol

Regardless of that theory, at 6" the reflectors would get pitted and both the reflectors and bulbs did need maintianed here and there

But now with the better reflectors I no longer run my lights at 6". I run them at 12 as the coverage is best and even with the amount of surface agitation I have the bulbs and reflectors stay spotless

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree, but it's nice to know these sorts of things beforehand!

Not to put anyone's lighting down, but I saw a few pictures of someone's "Do it all" light fixture like the 48" 2XMH Sunpod and I was dissapointed in the spread of the light, I think this may be due to the reflectors design and that's what I'm trying to figure out. I have the same issue with my single 30" 150 watt MH, the corners appear somewhat shadowy to me. I may want this variant in my 75 (so I can suit each corals individuals needs based on placement) But i'm hoping for most efficient and practical application.

Also, considering the costs of a 2X250 or 2X150 "all in one strip light" I think I could utilize these reflectors/design for cheaper and I like the customizable aspect of it all.

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
I would go 175 over 150... as Fly said, more choice of bulbs and better light. Look at the later pics in my build and you can se the spread of two Lumenarcs over 5'. Not much shadow with the SLIGHT exception in the middle and that is positioning. Once I get the electric actuator on the light rack i will adjust the height of the lights and there will be no shadow. They are about 8" or 9" abobe the water now (bulbs)

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
in a BB system, i would go with the 175's. on my system i started with 400's when it was a DSB. then switched to 250's when i switched it over to BB. by the time i took it down i was toying with dropping the lighting down to 175's across the tank. i had already added a 175 in the center and it did fine for keeping the clams.

G~

12,311 Posts
I dont necessarily agree with needing less light just becasue the system is BB. I think you have the luxury of feeding more to compensate some, and even if you do go to a reduced photoperiodd, the corals still like the intensity for whatever duration of photoperiod suits your system.

I run my halides for 6 hourse over my sps tank, and 8 over my polyp tank with much weaker, yet still 250 w bulbs.

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In this thread there was discussion on 'new' mini reflectors that someone suggested would be good for me. is that the lumenarc or LIII or?

Can someone point me in the right direction for the DE 175 reflector?
Thanks for all your input so far. I am getting excited!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.