The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

First, the details about my tank. It is 72" long, 24" tall, 18"deep.

I intend to keep softer corals down low and some LPS corals up high. I would also like a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone and two Maxima Clams.

I was originally going to get (6) 6 foot T12 160watt lamps powered by ICE CAP 660 ballasts for my tank. My two lfs both have pitched this option to me and they have success using them in their own shops.

However, it seems as if T12s arent really the preferred option for lighting around here. Is there some shortcoming I don't know about?

My next option would be this (if T12s have some shortcoming I don't know about...)

http://www.marinedepot.com/60_Inch_...nlight_Supply_Inc-SL2127-FILTFIT5SI-0-vi.html

And lastly, if everyone thinks Metal Halides would be the best option for my tank, can I get away with running them and NOT using a chiller.

I really appreciate everyone's help ahead of time. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the biggest reason people dont use T12 VHOs? They're really cool running and seem to produce good results at my lfs. I dont know much about them though.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
There Par is lower,they don't last long,run warm,take up alot room (so you can't fit alot).Cost more to run then T5HOs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts