The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there :) I've been having difficulty trying to figure out how to light my 33 gallon hexagon tank, mostly due to its height (about 22 inches deep, 18 inches across). I definitely do not plan on having any SPS corals or high-lighting-needing inverts, but wanted to focus on macroalgae and perhaps a few soft corals like mushrooms or xenia in the future. Currently I only have a 24" 28 watt Coralife Aqualight dual T5 fixture with a 10K bulb and 420 actinic (yes, it does sit off of the ledge just a little bit :crap:). I've found some reasonably priced power compact fixtures, and was thinking maybe I could combine the two? I'm on an itty-bitty budget and am having trouble finding something strong enough to "get to the depths" of my tank that isn't 48 inches long or $300.

So basically, could I combine the fluorescent and pc fixture? What other ways could I light my tank? Could my current fixture support macroalgae or low light coral? Sorry for so many questions! Thanks :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Did you look at the Current Lighting 18w compacts (10.5"), 32W (12.5"). We have a 18w unit on a 33hex FOWLR, and it works great. We added a separate clip on moonlight for the night lights.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you look at the Current Lighting 18w compacts (10.5"), 32W (12.5"). We have a 18w unit on a 33hex FOWLR, and it works great. We added a separate clip on moonlight for the night lights.
Could you post a link? I'll check it out. Has it been able to support any inverts/coral?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm sorry no link since I bought it two years ago. Just google Current lighting and look for their compact lighting i think its square pin. I have had a Chocolate chip in there and a coral banded no problems also a green bubble anemone no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts