The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 24 gallon aquapod. I has 2 pc lights in it at the moment. The problem is that the lights are about 16 months old..so I am assuming that they are in need of change. There was a recall on the aqua pod cause it was catching fire!! Mine as a polycarbonate (like plexi) lens over the bulbs to keep them dry. The lens is all warpped in one spot so bad that it's yellow. Also has a crack in it.

I would like to change the set-up and do something different. I have had the tank running 4 months. I got it from my buddy.

What do you think would be a good option? I was thinking a 175w pendent.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I have been checking out some options for the tank.... What seemed best at least to me was what I found at Marine depot.

This is what I was looking at.
-JBJ K-2 Viper deluxe 250w HQI clamp on lamp w/2 leds & fan.
- 14,000 k bulb.

$229.99

What do you guys think? is that over kill? They also have a 150w. IT sits about 12" above the tank. I figured the 250 would be better. There is only about a $20 difference between the 2.

Sorry no link. I will see if I can get that.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
As with anything that is manufactured, there may be problems with a certain model from time to time. Hopefully they get most of them back in the recall and we don't end up with one that has a problem, but there are no guarantees. It is like the old carnival saying "You pays your money, you takes your chances". ;)

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
Ok I have been checking out some options for the tank.... What seemed best at least to me was what I found at Marine depot.

This is what I was looking at.
-JBJ K-2 Viper deluxe 250w HQI clamp on lamp w/2 leds & fan.
- 14,000 k bulb.

$229.99

What do you guys think? is that over kill? They also have a 150w. IT sits about 12" above the tank. I figured the 250 would be better. There is only about a $20 difference between the 2.

Sorry no link. I will see if I can get that.
Sounds so cheap!UL listed?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys thanks for the responses. I have checked out nanotuner.com. They have a lot of the same stuff I have been looking at.
Loverotties- yeah UL listed. I like the second one I posted better though. I don't trust that clamp on one.
I was thinking of just fixing what I have, but for 2 new bulbs, and lens I looking at like $125, and it's not bright enough for what I want in there.

So do you think a 150 HQI or a 250 HQI?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everybody for the help. I think I will keep this nano as a sps dominat tank, as my 75 dosen't have any. I willpost some pics once I get it all set-up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts