The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
so i want to keep this in my 29 gallon tank lps sps (Montipora and a few acropora) and polyps here are my deminsions L=24"W=12" H=16" these deminsions are exact( just measured) this is the light i was thinking of http://www.marineandreef.com/Nova_Extreme_T5_Aquarium_Lighting_Current_USA_p/rcu01120.htm
That light should do you well. You may have to keep your sps slightly higher in the tank. I have dealt mainly with MH lighting so wait for a bit of advise from the many here how run T-5.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Cant say I'm familiar with T-5s but if those that have em say its a go then I'm sure you'll be good! Nice looking fixture too.
Since you are doing a mixed tank, there are a few things to take into consideration with that small of a tank. Stability will be very important. An ATO of some kind should be on your list. With that small of a volume, any loss of water due to evaporation will cause a big swing in salinity in a hurry. A GOOD skimmer should be at the top of your list. Very important. Now I know you got the new filter in lieu of a sump but if you have the space I would strongly recommend you reconsider. It will give give you added volume which will add to the stability of your system and provide a place for things like heaters, skimmer, ATO etc. The return pump (wouldn't need a big one) could provide some flow so you don't have to take up space and aesthetics with power heads. And if you want SPS you want flow. Plus, all that stuff in the display tank will clutter it up in a hurry.
The sump doesnt have to be some production unit. It can be a used tank (Craigslist, classifieds etc) or even a storage container or "tote" made by Rubbermaid. (available at Home Depot, Lowes, Wall Mart etc) Check the classifieds here for your area and you may be able to find a ton of stuff for a good price too.
If you can address all of these issues you will be well on your way to a beautiful tank that has long term success and not break your wallet.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have this in the mail as well it should be here in abour 3-9 days- http://www.petguys.com/-097612032140.html and a sump i dont have room for, unless it was a small hang-on. also if i knew how to do an auto top-off i would consider doing it on a small hang on refugium with a bigger dimensoins like these L=15" W=6-7" H=8" made of glass but i dont know how to do it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what size thickness of glass is good for the above deminsions 1/4? Also how would i get water to and from the HOB refugium without drillig the main tank. i don't want it to shatter.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
H=16" give you better depth than 13" originaly reported, and that nova will be super for you! the monti may be fine in the mid 1/3rd of the tank like mine, acros closer to top 1/3. rememebe the corals can be like redheaded todlers at the beach, the can burn/bleach depending on the light they became accostome to in tank or reef they were in, start them lower and move them up to more light gradually untill you find the sweet spot where they thrive. Got some answers quickly, nice job. Skimmer?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
most HOT systems, skims, refug... have a small pump in the tank as the source feeding the HOT. the HOT usualy is taller than the back of the tank and simply overflows (back into the tank through a bulkhead and usualy a 90 degree or to to point the flow where you want it) as it fills, fairly foolproof even if the power goes out.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i don't understand how water will get from the display tank to the hang-on back refugium then from the refugium back to the display tank without drilling my tank

1 - 20 of 38 Posts