The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my 55 gal to a 180 gal tank and I am considering throwing in some coral in as I am currently fish only. I am somewhat unsure of the exact wattage I should use, my tank is 72x24x24. I saw a unit by workhorse technologies that uses 3 250 hqi 15k metal halides along with 2x54 t5 HO bulbs, I'm wondering if this will produce too much heat and whether I will end up needing some extra cooling fans. I am not familiar with this manufacturer and wondering if they have a decent reputation.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Heating definitely depends on ventilation around the tank. If you put it in an enclosed canopy, then it could definitely create some heating problems. Fans are a cheap and easy solution, I wouldnt worry about needing those, but I would try to avoid a chiller if that's possible.

Can you tell us more about your overall setup? The lighting solution in and of itself seems like a good product for that size tank, but elaborate and hopefully we can get you steered in the right direction.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I think the halides would be good if you can over come the heat issue. Ussually if you just have an open canopy and a couple fans on it there is not much of a heat issue. As far as the 2 T5s go... I don't think it will be enough light to suffice while the halides are off.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
Sounds good.It's hard to say if you need more fans(probably you will) it depends on the temp of the room and circulation!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
setup

thanks for the info,currently we are not planning to put a hood on it and as we really don't have anything that jumps out we were going to leave it topless to help keep the temp under control and I figured we could keep the water changes down by just replacing the evaporation loss. the tank is setup with two returns evenly spaced n the back as opposed to in the corners like I have seen a lot of tanks and we were considering starting with just a little coral perhaps on one side as opposed to interspersed throughout. I also considered getting some clams but I understand they need significant light also.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I figured we could keep the water changes down by just replacing the evaporation loss. .
That's not true. ONLY H2O evaporates from the system leaving behind NO3, PO4 and anything else in the water. The only way to really keep your water balenced and free of toxins is to do regular water changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts