The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok time to replace my T5 ulbs they are about 4-5 months old so i'll be getting some new ones shortly. Need some suggestions on getting some new ones and where from, possibly online
I have a Zoa garden so i want those colors to be vibrant and i want myFrogspawn colors to be great as well as my hammern torch!! Thanks again!!

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Replacing at only 4-5months for T5ho? With an 'average' schedule of 8-10hrs a day, you should be able to get at least 10 months or so useable life out them.

As for color vibrancy, we T5 users are kind of limited. I have a 4 bulb T5 setup on my tank and I use 1x 12k white, 1x 50/50 white& actinic, and 2x actinic bulbs. Gives a nice bluish look and brings out the fluorescent nature of the corals well. But you'll be hard pressed to get the WOW factor you can with LEDs or Metal Halides.

I'm saving up for an LED replacement soon. Perhaps someone else may know how to achieve the 15-20k look of metal halides using T5. If so, definitely let me know!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really i thought the life expectancy was 6months...hmm..ya i agree the LED is the way to go but boy o boy are they expensive!! What bulbs do you use to maximize your color enhancement on your corals???

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
I've used Geissman and URI bulbs. Currently I am using HAGEN GLO (believe it or not I am actually impressed!) Technically, they claim you can get about 12-18+ months out of them, but I've never pushed them that long. Perhaps they would be just fine going that long, but I don't have a PAR meter to really test that.

For color, the actinic does well for getting the fluorescent coloring. The below combo works great for me in a 4 bulb setup:

1.) Actinic
2.) 12k
3.) Actinic
4.) 50/50
I've know there is an 18k bulb, but my local stores never seem to carry them. I want to swap the 50/50 with the 18k to see how that looks. But for me, this setup looks pretty nice.

Attached is a photo(not mine) of a tank using the same type of setup and the coloring in mine is the same.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts