The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering what kind of lighting I would need in order to have a frogspawn. I currently only have 65watts of light. Would this be enough? Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
299 Posts
They like high intensity light, I'd go with MH's, 400w 14k, if you want whiter light, then 12k. My frogspawn sits about 12 inches under a 400w 14k and it is growing like a weed!!! I'm sure I'm a little overkill, but someone will pipe in and school us both on this subject shortly.

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
I would have to second that thought. I would at least double that if not triple that amount of light. I have a 30 long and have 4x96 watt, and that seems to be perfect for everything I have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 35 gallon octagonal shaped tank. It is 18" wide, and 24" deep.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What type of lighting is good enough, but also cheaper? VHO, MH, etc... Also, so the light doesn't burn organisms near the top of the tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. My Tank is 18" wide and 24" deep. It is an octagonal shaped 35 gallon tall tank. What is a cheaper lighting system that would be good enough, but not to expensive?

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
i would go with VHO T-5's. Im sure you could do PC's as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help. So let me get this straight, most people are saying that 2 more 65W VHO's or T-5's would be good enough?

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
What is the current bulb you have? I understand that it is 65 watt, but is it VHO, PC, or T-5? IMO, I would stick with the same type of bulb. You are also going to have to think about the water heating. You may want to purchase a fan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I currently have VHO, but the problem is I have a total of four lights on my tank right now. Two 18" 15W 50/50, and two corallife fixtures that hold two 9W compact Fluorecents. One 10K and one actinic. So I would have to upgrade all my lights.

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
I would go with something the length of your tank. The T-5s are space savers and so are the PCs. I would choose between those that way you can fit as many as you want over top. Well at least with the 18 inches you have. What is the length of the tank?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is basically an 18" square and 24" Tall. What are some good companies to go with to get the necessary lighting?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts