The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ReefKeeper
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in everyones feelings on how far lights should be from the surface of the water. I have a Coralife 72" Aqualight Pro over a 125g tank. The light has 3 150W 10000K halides, 4 96W Actnics PC's and 4 moon lights. The tank stands that it came with put it about 5" above the water. I have heard that 8" is better for several reasons (not the least of which is heat)

What do you all think???

Other than heat, what is the downside of lower?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
i have my 36" aqualight PC about 5" off the tank with the legs that you can get from coralife............i think this is fine for me.........i think its a good level off to keep saly off the light from evap. and splash.......and to keep the heat trans under control

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
I have my 6 VHO's over my 90g at about 3 inches from the surface of the water. I don't have much salt spray on the bulbs.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
other than heat, the only thing i can think of is the light "burning" some of your corals, with something that powerful, that low (depending on tank depth) you might not be able to have low light species in there. but i dont know, just an idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts