The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 120 reef tall ( 48", 24" ). i have pc on it now and ( 4 watts a gal)
LPS ans softies thrive and grow fast ( hammer grows a little slower than wat i think it should be ) but when i try any kind of SPS it slowly fades. i think the water quility keeps it alive for a while then bites the dust never any growth tips. i dont really want to ever put SPS back in because of flow requriments but still want to upgrade my lights. so i can keep clams. i was thinking t-5 with my pc. I think that would be cheaper that MH. and where should i get T-5.

·
Registered
573 Posts
the price of MH isnt that bad, there was just a guy on RC selling 2 250 setup for 200 bucks with bulbs and everything, it was retro fit, so you would have to build a canopy but in the long run you will be a lot happier with MH over anything else.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Go with T5's from Reefgeek.com. I just got rid of the PC's on my tank and went with T5's and the look and the growth is just unreal. I like them alot better.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sell your pc's and put the money toward a full T5 setup. 4 or 6 54Watt bulbs on individaul reflectors should do the trick. Reefgeek has the tek retrofits, but so does Sammy at aquabuys and he's local, an ARC sponsor, and they're tad cheaper (plus no shipping!) you can even switch out the tek reflectors for Ice Cap reflectors which are a little better for a few bucks each. you'll be using less wattage but gaining more light, since the T5's are much more efficeint. Make sure to acclimate your corals to the light, though...

but it would probably be cheaper and plenty effective to just get a couple 250watt MH retros and add them to your canopy. you really couldn't go wrong either way, in my opinion. But if heat is an issue for you, the T5's should run much cooler and use way less energy. just my opinion, and so you know, I'm just repeating what i've read from others' experience, since I don't have my T5's set up yet.

·
Registered
573 Posts
be careful with aquatrader, you get what you pay for so just beaware that you may end up having to send your stuff back and forth multiply times to get something that works.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I havent heard anything about there T5s at all,

·
Registered
161 Posts
Stay away from Aquatraders. I bought a 130W PC light from them and it worked for 5 minutes and shut down. I called them and emailed them and got no response. My credit card company credited me back. Aquatraders never even contacted me to send the lights back. I eneded up giving the light away.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go on to Reef Central and do a search and you will see many many threads where folks were burned by Aquatraders. In my opinion lighting is not something that you want to cut corners on. You basically get what you pay for.

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
I got a 24" and 48" T5 HO fixture from Aquatraders. Both work perfectly. You do get what you pay for, however. If they arrive in good shape without anything broken, you got it made. HOWEVER, Aquatraders doesn't have a single T5 HO fixture in stock and hasn't since Christmas. So it really doesn't matter how good or bad they are....

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
Oh, yea, I would get MH lighting. I have used VHO, PC, and T5 and for some reason, things do better under MH. Just my experience and opinion... and, of course, my opinion it worth what you paid for it.. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts