The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing the coral feeding frezy over at Stuckey's house, the GF and I are anxious to try growing some of our own, but we lack sufficient lighting. We've proven that we can keep fish alive so I hope were ready for the next chapter.

Any suggestions on some relatively inexpensive MH fixtures for a 48" tank? Also, reccomendations for some hardier, n00b friendly corals.

Thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
for starter sps I would try things like pavona, and montipora digitata. They both seem to be fairly indestructable. As far as lighting how inexpensive is inexpensive? You would need 2 lights, probably 250 watters.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess relative is the key word here. Preferably under 300 bucks I guess. Looking at prices for new lights scare me. Better yet, if anyone wants to get rid of their old lighting, let me know.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sizzler, did you decide if you wanted to sell your lights? Id be interested if youre in the market.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
The LED could be the future of lighting but time will tell. Alot depends on how corals will react to them. I definatelly would not jump into purchasing them for at least a year.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
well i wont be jumping on this light. It will take me a good year at least to even save the money for the fixture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts