The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not to long ago i put up about the 65 i am in the process of getting. the tank is 36 7/8"x 19"x24 5/8". it has a center brace so here it goes. i plan to do the whole reef deal as money permits, but the problem is, lighting. since my old tank was a 40 breeder, i got the aquatic life 6x39watt t5 hood. but with the corals and such i want to do, need a good amount of light. so with that depth in mind and the t5 lights i have, is the tank to deep for it? i was thinking best thing to do, if the hood wont work, and sice LED's are out of my price range. I have a JBJ K-2 Viper 150w MH light, i was thinking on buying a second one and putting them almost side by side since most 36" mh hoods have one center light. would that be enough light? or will i be ok with the 6x39w t5 set up?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
check out bulkreefsupply.com or marineandreef.com i have the same problem you do trieng to get my 65 ready to swap things out from my 45. there i found multiple options for a 36 inch fixture with 2 hqi's which i thought didnt exist either. good prices and free shippiing. let me know what you think

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, well i was figuring to use a second JBJ viper since i already have 1 JBJ 150watt viper light as it is and use them together on the same timer and have a couple of t5 actinics for dawn and dusk light before the HQI come on. but ill still check them out for sure, thanks for the links

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2 viper 150 watt hqi and they are great on the 65 gallon tank. I have had a couple of problems with one of the fixtures but jbj was great on correcting the problem. I have one light on one side of the strength bar and the other on the other side. Just make sure you vent the ballast well or the switches will go bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts