The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These lil plastic things suck. One runs about 24 slow, the other 2 don't move at all.

Whats everyone using that actually keeps good time?

I need 1 for the actinics, 1 for the day bulbs and 1 for the fan...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a cheap timer that was about $5 and have had no issues. You have to make sure you set the initial time correctly. I run my lights about 9hrs/day.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well wth's wrong w/ mine?! these things are terrible, i have to adjust them every morning and night.

anyone have experience with Current Usa Dual Timer w/ Splash Cover?

I could prob run my lights on this and my fans on a plastic timer...

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Add up your light timers, pH monitor/controller, temp controller (heater and chiller) and the ability to keep your tank from frying etc and you'll find that it is about priceless;)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
I like the Neptune if you use all the functions, but if you are just looking for an appliance timer ( enough amps for a halide ballast), look for one of the outdoor versions that is sold at one of the big box places like BLowes or Home Despot or Maynaroids that have a high amount of resistance to water intrusion to prevent premature failure and battery backup for the timer mechnism. Otherwise, every time the power goes out, you're going to need to reset the time on the device (not a problem for me...) The cheapo dial-type timers tend to fail within a year of use in high amp apps with moisture from the system in the air. I have seen exceptions to this failure tendency from the cheap open timers, but the safe bet is to go with a unit intended for exposure to high amps and high-moisture environments like the ones intended for outdoor Xmas lighting or outdoor appliances (make sure that you get one with the amp rating you need and a grounding prong). Battery backup is just gravy, and usually limited to the digital (electronic) types of timing devices (and are usually around $20 USD and up). The little open ones intended for indoor lamps might be fine for small low-amp setups for smaller systems like less than 30 USG and Normal Output lighting, but tend to poop out within a year or so due to either switch failure or failure of the timer motor when used for higher amp setups like MH lighting near systems with high amounts of evaporative losses. I currently use the heavy duty ones that are black with a short extenion cord for the power supply and a flip-up cover for the timer mechanism to run my MH apps. Watch for them to be on sale after Xmas.

Flawleses now for multiple years, HTH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts