The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30gl reef tank it has been set up for over a year and i have been stalling on buying a more powerful light sistum because they are so danm expensive all i have right now is a 15watt phlorestant light, but when i drove down to calli for spring brack i whent into a saltwater fishe store called Aquarium below and they had this compact phloresint lighting sistum called smartlight it puts out 64 watts 50/50 bulb of lighting and has a realy nice refflecter they ashered me that was anoff for my ragulaer sized 29 gl tank for any coral. when they lt up it was as bright as there 4 t5 sistum on there reef and they had all kinds of cotral in there. So i think i have divised a plan that will work acording to there info i bild a canapie and screw in my phloresent light (w/blue bulb) and the screw that light into the canapie also will this be anoff light for most corels to be capt in my 29gl
-Fishfriend1928

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
With the single pc and no bulb, you will be limited to mostly mushrooms and leathers and perhaps a few low light lps. If you are hoping for greater variety with sps and clams, you would need a lot more light. Something you might consider is the HQI metal halides. A 250 watt HQI with a 20K bulb would be great for a predominately sps/clam tank on your 30g. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can save some $$ - do a search in the DIY forum for the 'metal halide for under $100' thread that uses Iwasaki halide bulbs on mercury vapor ballasts. Also, check our sponsors-I saw some nice HQI componets that could save you a bundle if you can do the wiring yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts