The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
ReefDreams
397 Posts
I am not ready to put lights on the tank yet because i am still make the top look nice like the stand ~!~ mission ! any now the size of the tank is a 125 i am guessing the measurements are 72 inch's long 18 inch's wide 25 inch's high........... i wont to have plops mushrooms torch's frog spawns stuff like that may be a home for the clown ..... what lights should i start to look at ? my LFS has told me to get 4 PC lights 96 watt each ... i would like some other ideas ........ i ve never used any thing but power compacts ....... any info ?

·
ReefDreams
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
VHO Retrofit Reef Light Ballast Kit 2 X 48" 22o watt each

ive read on trt that alot of people use vho i dont know if they are any better .....any how info would be nice on what to think about ....... on ebay i found VHO Retrofit Reef Light Ballast Kit 2 48" 220 watt each with blubs.......75 bucks ......... the power compact lights are cheap to i thirs a retro kit with 4 power compacts 96 watts each and they are 25 inchs ......am i looking around the write gide lines ?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
4 PC bulbs for a 125 gallon tank? No way. Especially if you intend to keep lps and anemones. Personally, I really dislike PC lighting for anything other than a small tank. I just don't feel like they have the intensity to penetrate water very well, and the expense of changing them is not cost effective. Most people would probably recommend you go with metal halides - 250 watt X 3. You could also use T5HO lighting too, but it becomes less effective when you have a tank over 4 ft long (because of bulb lengths available).

·
ReefDreams
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<?>

i found t5 i need to know how long should it be and how many should i be looking at and how many watts should i go for becouse my wife does wont a anemone........ what i found was 48" T5HO T5 Fluorescent Light Cichlid T-5 Reef Lighting and its 150 bucks ships free whats up with that ?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
that's an ebay fixture... i have one, i suggest spending the money and getting a nice Tek fiture or a T5 retrofit setup... don't waste you money on the ebay fixture...

·
ReefDreams
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i hear yuh alot of people dont like e bay my wife dont lol...... i still need to know what should i go for with the spec s of the tank ???

·
ReefDreams
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how long should the blubs be watts how many blubs
?? vho power compacts T5HO??? if some one would give me a link on what to look at it would be very helpful or some good suggestions ~!~any one know also measurements are 72 inch's long 18 inch's wide 25 inch's high how many gallons is that a 125 ???

·
11,345 Posts
?? vho power compacts T5HO??? if some one would give me a link on what to look at it would be very helpful or some good suggestions ~!~any one know also measurements are 72 inch's long 18 inch's wide 25 inch's high how many gallons is that a 125 ???
its a 140, and your cheapest option that will not limit you down the road as well as keep everything super happy would be 3- 250 w MH over that tank

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I wouldn't use power compacts nor regular T12 VHO bulbs. So, your main options are T5HO and metal halide. I would recommend halides, specifically three 250 watt bulbs, preferably 10K in color or 14K. You can supplement with actinics if you like. That's the simplest setup. To use T5HO lighting you would need a 6 bulb fixture. You can get either 48 in bulbs or 60 in bulbs. In either case, you will have to stagger the bulbs so that you don't get a dark area on the ends of the tank. That will also mean that the strongest light is in the middle and the weaker light is on the sides - place corals carefully according to their lighting requirements. Well, that's pretty much it in a nut shell. Use reefgeek.com for your lighting supplies.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...y_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...y_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Me...etrofit_System_-_250W_6500K_Iwasaki_by_IceCap

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
or he could use 2 of the 36" 6 light T5HO Very High Output light kits... overdriven bulbs and all..

·
ReefDreams
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
iam still unsure what i will do mh is very costly ! if it was my choice to go with that i would have to buy one and wate till nexy month buy one..... little buy little so thats problely what i am going with but i wont to read more on all my choices

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
This is not a cheap hobby! The worst mistake that you can make is to skimp on something and think that it will do. More often than not, you will regret your decision and then spend the money to get quality equipment. Lighting is one of those things that you will have a hard time skimping on. If you are handy, a little DIY can save you a good bit of money, but overall, lighting is probably the most expensive component of a reef tank (skimmers would be second). You really have to decide what you want to keep in the tank. The more light demanding and difficult corals naturally require more expensive lighting. If you want a softy tank, then you can have inexpensive T12 VHO or PC lighting, you can use just a few T5HO bulbs, etc.

·
ReefDreams
397 Posts
now iam confused with that one lol

i wanted soft corals shrooms polyps ext... i want a home for my clown and some frogspawns and torch's ext...i like those green bubble corals to... i am not going for much other then what i said acouple corals acouple fish an ill be happy. what i am confused about is u said if its a softy tank go for PC t5vo vho...... power compact was out of the question till u said that i can get them very cheap i have a friend at the LFS that will hook me up with 4 PC 96 watt and i think they are 36 inch's he recommended that to me . i changed my mind yesterday about that reading every one say no way [email protected]!:help:i want to do this the right way i don't want to regret anything building my tank !

1 - 20 of 43 Posts