The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lighting is not working today. I have 4 VHO tubes on an ARO ballast. They are all 4 wired to come on and off at the same time. So, can I assume that one of the bulbs is burned out and that's why it is not on? The bulbs are less than a year, so they should not have burned out. But they probably need to be changed anyway. With a holiday weekend, what if the new bulbs don't arrive until Monday - will the corals be ok that long? There's not much in there and most is small: a frogspawn, xenia, zoos, ricordia and some mushrooms. Thanks, Beth.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think you will be ok for a little while without light especially with your livestock. What length VHO are you running? Someone in the club might have some extras laying around, although I don't think that one bulb going bad would stop them all from running but not sure. So are you an echino freak yet?

·
Reef Society Duluth/Mpls
1,033 Posts
Sounds like a bulb and use it as a sign to replace all the bulbs.Your corals will be fine for several day with out lights no problem. I'm sure with softies they could go a week or two with no real bad effects. When you get your new bulbs be careful with your burn in period so you don't bleach your corals.

Fahz

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duh. Turns out the ballast was switched off. I think my husband switched if off last night. But at least it was a learning experience - I found out how you can rewire the endcaps to check each bulb seperately (no, I didn't waste my time doing that before I thought to check the ballast switch!). But, its just about time for new bulbs anyway, so I should probably still order some.

Jules77 - no I'm not an echino freak yet - maybe I just need a little more time? I'm still sold on softies that sway in the current :)

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Also save the old bulbs,just incase one or two go bad early you can put them in till you get replacements or.Do what I do and have a complete set ready to trade out!

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Instead of used bulbs, I like to stay one bulb change ahead on my bulbs so I have new ones ready to go in emergency. Just in case and there is no mad dash to find bulbs and can order at my convienience......If not willing to have a full set available keep at less one new of each type of bulb you use.

Also, I do keep an extra ballast on hand as well so never have to worry about emergency repair or replacement. I look at it as I have far more invested in livestock so it's worth it to me to have available. I also had the luxary that I downsized from a large system to a small so I had extras available that I just kept but does make good sense IMO to be prepared....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts