The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new MH are really heating up the tank. The fixture is sitting at about 5" above the water right now. It is on the legs that came with it. How much difference could raising the fixture just one inch make? Is much more distance needed to really cool it down?

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
It's Chiller Time! :beer: (Welcome to the club) :cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've always been told that MH's need to be 8-10 inches off your water. Don't get a chiller till you try that. Are they covered? (you mentioned a fixure) I'd never have my MH's that close to the water! Try raising them a bit first.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I agree with raising the lights. I also recently placed a fan near my tank to blow across the water and its an amazing difference. Someday I'll get the hubby to add my ica chiller but till then the fan is working great!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
I'd have it up higher! like at least 8".If water spashes up on the HOT Mh bulb it could explode and the Mercury could go in the tank and wipe it out.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fixture I have is the Aqualight Pro HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Light Fixture so I have covers over the bulbs. I have been considering getting the suspension hardware for it. Looks like I will be picking it up today. That will be much cheaper than a chiller at this point.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Raise it up and add a fan blowing on the water surface.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I have the exact same light fixture and ended up buying a chiller - suspending the lights just didn't work for my house setup --- it was throwing light around the room, into people's eyes, etc.....good luck!

HHC

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the suspension hardware and moved my fan to hit the surface better. So far so good! Temp isn't rising near as fast now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts