The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My metal hallide bulbs have blown out and are a (@#)*@# to replace. I have a sun coral bulb and a reef coral bulb in right now. One is very blue and the other is white-ish. Do I really need MH for soft coral?

Also I bought my first piece (and i do mean very small like the size of a pencil top eraser) this weekend. $20.00 for pulsing and pumping Xenia (this sucker better reproduce and not die or I will revive it and shoot it); is that too much to pay? It is on a tiny chip of rock and i haven't glued it to the big live rock. I bought some epoxy but it seems like a pain in the butt to mix and use. I there something already mixed I can use? Right now it is sitting on the sand bed. Does it need to be higher up?

The water flow is excellent in the tank. So much so that you can't tell the Xenia is opening and closing. It looks more like it is waving in the current. Is this to much flow and how do you reduce your flow?

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
As long as the Xenia is happy and you have good polyp extension you should leave it be. Eventually you should glue it to a larger rock using some super glue (don't use the krazy glue brand) because Xenia does grow very fast.

As for paying to much I think you did. 20$ is high for a tiny piece of Xenia.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have access to some Gorilla Glue in my hubby's tool box. How would this work and will it set underwater?

·
Registered
919 Posts
My metal hallide bulbs have blown out and are a (@#)*@# to replace. I have a sun coral bulb and a reef coral bulb in right now. One is very blue and the other is white-ish. Do I really need MH for soft coral?

Also I bought my first piece (and i do mean very small like the size of a pencil top eraser) this weekend. $20.00 for pulsing and pumping Xenia (this sucker better reproduce and not die or I will revive it and shoot it); is that too much to pay? It is on a tiny chip of rock and i haven't glued it to the big live rock. I bought some epoxy but it seems like a pain in the butt to mix and use. I there something already mixed I can use? Right now it is sitting on the sand bed. Does it need to be higher up?

The water flow is excellent in the tank. So much so that you can't tell the Xenia is opening and closing. It looks more like it is waving in the current. Is this to much flow and how do you reduce your flow?
Just place it somewhere middle reef and let it do it's thing. I never glue my Xenia, I just get it to sit someplace and it attaches pretty quick. Wedge the chip between a couple of rocks is probably best. They like some flow and good light, but mine grow anywhere in my tank. Too much flow and it will definitely move in the direction it is being pushed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some say glue some say don't.... Let's see if we can get a majority.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts