The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my way into my LFS for a routine refill on some frozen food supplies....I was hit-up pretty hard on 2 add-on sales for products I know nothing about.

Anyone have any comments on these products?

#1 - DT's Oyster Eggs ($19 retail price) add 1/5 teaspoon at night 3times a week when light go out to feed coral at night and have skimmer off until morning - suppose to make filterfeeders thrive like crazy - lfs onwer told me in 3months in using this product his bubbletip anemone grew twice the size it had been in the previous 5 years (bs? you tell me) http://www.dtplankton.com/oystereggs/main.html

#2 - Kent Zoe Spirulina ($12 retail price) sprinkle this juice on any food source and let it absorb for about 1hour prior to feeding fish - suppose to really 'pop' fish color and protect them from future diseases (bs? you tell me) http://www.kentmarine.com/saltwater/zm.html

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I have the same bottle of oyster eggs that i have had for over a year. not worth the 19 IMO. don't know about the otherstuff.
I agree with geoff about the mush. if you want to do a phytoplankton type then just grow your own greenwater.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I have no direct experience with the oyster eggs but I've heard many people (hobbyists) say many good things about them.

I use the Zoe routinely to enrich frozen preparations. IMO whether you use commercially prepared stuff, or blend your own, adding vitamins is a good thing. We routinely use preparations made from garlic, vitamin c and Selcon and/or spirulina.

Jenn

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
BTW it's common practice for LFS or any other retail establishment to encourage add-on sales. That's just basic retailing 101. There's no "penalty" for not buying extras, but most employees are encouraged, or even compelled to do so.

A manufacturer's rep that I deal with used to work at a very large store based in the Southwest. He told me that if one of his employees brought a customer to the register with "just livestock" and no add-ons, he fired them :eek: Personally I think that is rather extreme - but it's no coincidence that the store in question is one of the largest and most successful in the country.

Jenn

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I agree nothing wrong in trying to sell more, Thats what they are there for, as far as the osyter eggs , I too have some for aleast 6 or more months, I see nothing wrong with them Just high price. I don't feed very often so thats why I still have them.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
did ja ever try to scramble oyster eggs..not very easy..

i have not used either. i usally do the blender mush. since you have both now, let do an experminet. record how everythign looks in writing and pictures now. start using one ort both and record every few days, then post yuour finding after one month, 2 months, 4 months and 6 months..
if youcan set up another tank with the same corals as a control that woul dbe even better.....and yes i am serious...

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
i dont have anything to feed in my tank... but when i do i'll have to try it, but i would like to mix it up and do another test between DT's and true greenwater made fresh. i'll be keeping it in mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts