The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! Well I went to a LFS last weekend because my son gave me a $200 gift certificate(which at the time I thought it was) and found out later it was store credit but that was still cool so no problem there except I have to buy what I want there!

I really hate this store and the owner as well. Well I picked up a couple of "used PH's" one for my wife as a back up and one for me to use as a part of a spray bar set-up I made(Thanks to Jay's thread on this).

Well he charged me $39.99 for a used Hagen Aqua-clear 402 powerhead and can't remember what he charged my wife for hers and I just now went on the internet and could have got a brand new one for $18.99 and the other LFS was going to sell it to me at $29.99 but they had it listed at $39.99!

Well I am going to pay this man a visit this coming week and finish up using the store credit my son gave me and then he is going to hear what I have to say about the way he does business and grant it I should have been up on the price of the PH before going in but it still does not set well with me!

What the hell has happened to this world where it seems everyone is out to put it to you!(Well not exactly but darn close!).

I have been at this hobby long enough and it torched me just a little to be taken again!! Now I feel better but this LFS owner won't when I'm done with him!! I won't do anything crazy(well what most people consider crazy)!:funny:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Heh,

I've been shopping for a return pump. I decided a mag7 would do the trick, so my wife and I went to the LFS I like to support. Checked out the mags they had and made sure the 7 would give me the gph I needed at the head height. I decided it would just do, so I started towards the register. Then I decided to check the price: $145!!!!

Needless to say, I didn't come home with a pump. Instead I ordered online and decided to go with the mag9.5 to be sure I had plenty of gph - total cost $75.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I believe it is good to support the good LFS's. What I do at "mine" is find the price on the net, figure shipping, go to LFS and tell them what I can pay for what they have. I have been going there for a long itime and have an established relationship. About 90% of the time, I can get it for the same price. Sometimes i can't and if the difference isn't much I usually buy it there anyway. I have seen quite a difference in some of the prices. As the saying goes caveat emptor.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
It's a shame that things are that way. I know that the LFS has a higher overhead then the online vendors and I'm glad that they are there but that's ridicoulous (sp).

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Ridiculous is right! Johnny, that guy ripped you off plain and simple. :mad: Go get 'em!

Alice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.