The Reef Tank banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LFS and attitudes

I am going to vent a little on a LFS as well as share their name. I have spent well over a thousand dollars in their store in the last 6 months as they do have some nice corals, and although thats not a TON of money, i say that just to justify that i have been in there enough to warrant that what im about to say is not basesd on one or two times of being in the store.
Upscales has a couple of people with act like they are SO cool and provide crappy customer service. On several occasions i have been in there as the only customer in the store and i have to pull teeth to get one of them to answer any questions, and when they do so, they act like it was a stupid question in the first place.
What really just instigated me writing this letter is something that happened today with my father, and it was only maybe over $13, but it wasnt the money, it was the attitude.

I live in Bend and do not have a choice but to drive to portland or buy things online. My father was going to be in the portland area and i needed 120 lbs of aragonite that i know upscales carries, so i called upscales 2 days ago, stated that im a member of PNWMAS and wondered if i could give them my card # in order for my father to pick it up for me and receive the 10% discount or whatever, and how late they were open on Sunday. The guy who answerred said it wasnt a problem and that he DIDNT need my number and for my father justt o briefly explain again what i had told him when he got there.
SO< my father get there a little bit ago and in what my father perceived as a snotty attitude said, no, gotta have your card, and be here in person.

????

AS well, when my father was walking arouond the store and asked a couple of plumbing questions he was at first ignored and then finally the guy in a holier than thou attitude answered a couple of questions and then went back to talkingon the ph9one with what sounded like a friend.

I am writing this note to say simply that MY perception of Upscales is that the owner needs to educate a few of his employees on why it is they come to work every day. For anyone who doesnt know it is to take care of people like me who put thousands and thousands of dollars into their reef tanks happy so i continue to spend my money there.

The $135 i just spent in that store on sand will be the last dollar they get of mine.

I mean fish owners/employees....c'mon...........wouldnt most of you give a guy 10% off on $135 worth of sand even if they wWERENT members of PNWMAS?? Or at a minimum, politely explain the policy intead of being an ***???

If LFS owners want good cutomers to shop at their stores instead of the internet, it surely doesnt help your cause with customer service like that.

Ironically, i call Upscales after my Dad told me his story and i asked for the owner, a guy asked me if he could help me instead, when i said i really just wanted to speak with the owner, he then copped an attitude with me about it.........

whatever dude, im glad you dont work for me. It would be a short career for you there.

·
ALWAYS MORE 2 LEARN!!
1,304 Posts
Call back and talk to Travis. I'm sure he will do his best to fix the problem. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks....to be honest, sionce there arent any lfs in my area i usually shop online, but i do go to portland much more often than eugene. I will check out chiclids next time im in the area though.

I just split tanks and added a 225. Ive got about 130 gallons that arent packed with corals i plan on starting to fill in the next few months......... if any reasonable LFS owner wants to sell me a couple of grand in corals and fish over the next few months and save me a few bucks and make themselves a few bucks i really WOULD prefer to see the specimens before bringing them home. But at this point, Reefer Madness and a couple of others are getting my money

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
michael7979 said:
Call back and talk to Travis. I'm sure he will do his best to fix the problem. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them.
I tried, im assuming they are closed now and i never did get a call back from the owner whom the jerk i talked to on the phone said was just busy at the moment...........who knows he might not have even t0old the owner......

like i said, i wouldnt slam a business publicly if this was the first time they had done similar things..

its all good, im really not that petty, it just irritated me that my father got treated like crap doing me a favor.

thanks though mike...........but it doesnt sound like im the only one who would rather give someone else the business........

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bemo said:
I go to waves as well for that reason. It is only one more exit down from upscales.
Im curious then, is that simply the owners business practices or is he simply out of tune with his employees and how they run his business???

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't want to bash Upscales, but I've been treated the same way there. It's almost like if they don't know you, they don't care if you ever come back. It's a strange way to run a business.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
from questions i have asked, people will always be more willing to pay a little more for good service. If you make me feel dumb or refuse to give the required service politley then you will never see my money.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Sorry to hear you had (your dad) such a time. Not an LFS, but we tend to have the same problem at my store (Orange box) The younger people who just want a check dont seem to care a whole lot about service, or even learning the job sometimes. There are of course exceptions and by no means is it a rule but the attitude today seems to be much different than it used to be. I think Managers/owners are responsible but also society. There is just too much focus on the wrong things in the world today. used to be family and integrity but now its keeping up with the Joneses and all the trappings/gizmos that go with it. What SUV do you drive and where do you get your coffee. We have a new policy, poor customer service will get you a new opportunity to find a new career! Still happens though. i would voice my feelings to the owner and leave it at that. A good example of the change in society is gas stations. Used to be that they did everything they could for you, now they sit behind the counter and put the paper down when they are ready to ring up your soda and gas.

Robert

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fly Guy, give me a call and let me know what you are looking for. I'm not going to say anything about any of the other stores. But i will get you good product and livestock and get it to you for a great price. Sorry to hear that things didn't go well with one of the hobbies stores. It's bad enough trying to beat the bad rap the saltwater industry already has with being difficult let alone adding fuel to the fire with an experience like this.

Sully (Coral Reef Pet Center)
(503) 378-7333

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
As far as the discount mixup goes, just give Travis a call and I'm sure he'll straighten it out. But in these situations it's always a good idea to know the names of the people you speak with on the phone...if not to cover your bases, then just to be personable and encourage accountability. Sometimes notes get lost, stickie glue doesn't hold well in this heat..:p

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Piero said:
As far as the discount mixup goes, just give Travis a call and I'm sure he'll straighten it out. But in these situations it's always a good idea to know the names of the people you speak with on the phone...if not to cover your bases, then just to be personable and encourage accountability. Sometimes notes get lost, stickie glue doesn't hold well in this heat..:p
I dont care about the $13.50. Like i said before, if similar attitudes hadnt happened EVERY time ive been in that store i wouldnt have posted. And if it wouldnt have happended to my father doing me a favor i probably wouldnt have been back myself anyway, but it was easy directions and directly on the path he was already travelling.

I dont take public bashing lightly but nor do i hold my tongue when im you know what ed off.

Sully, i will be calling you within the next week and we can see what we can do.

thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think people forget how much money we put into our "hobby" you are right it is not about the 13 bucks, but every dollar helps. You should not have to beg for someone to take your money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Been out of town for the last week. Time for damage control. First off I am sorry if you you and you father feel that you were mistreated. I know who was here on Sunday and I will get to the bottom of this. If you come in the shop again I will give you a credit for the discount you should have gotten. As far as customer service goes that is a tough one. I think every customer wants to be treated differently. What makes one cusomer happy will irritate the next one. We have alway supported the reef club and it's members and appreciate your business.
Hope you give us a second (or third) chance

Travis

·
ALWAYS MORE 2 LEARN!!
1,304 Posts
way To Go Travis!!!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
corals said:
I think every customer wants to be treated differently. What makes one cusomer happy will irritate the next one
Travis
isnt that true! that was very nice of Travis to step up like that....and a good busy owner:)

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Travis, I probably wont be taking you up on that, as the post obviously wasnt about a couple of bucks, but i wish you luck just the same.
FWIW, my experiences in your store as well as some of the other responses ive heard here, it sounds like the atmosphere i described is perceived by more than just myself, and most likely a little deeper than just one employee.
I disagree with your statement about every customer wanting something different. On the simplest of levels, EVERY customer wants merely acknowledged when they walk in the door and talked to in a helping friendly manner should a conversation of any kind arise. Sure, you can do that and may still end up with a unhappy customer, but i, nor i doubt anyone else who posted here would have ended up one of them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.