The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the looks of these but cannot find much on them. Are they reef safe? I think I have enough algae to last a little while, but could I just use algae sheets once I run out? How big do they get.:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
The lettuce sea slug is a Carribean critter. It is a nudibranch. I see them whilst diving fairly frequently, so I thought having one might be good. I understand that they are reef safe. However, they love algae and usually expire in a reef tank for lack of forage.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Elisia Crispata is actually a slug, not a nudibranch which are carnivores.
I raised hundreds of lettuce slugs and wrote this article in The Sea Slug Forum.
They only "eat" bryopsis for a while then live the rest of their life on sunlight.
If you have a lot of algae and expect these things to eat it, forget it.
http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/11846

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I had a biocube running with TONS of hair algae, I promoted growth by overfeeding for my rainfordi gobi to get enough algae.. They lasted a long time, ended up getting sucked into the powerheads (it's almost impossible to keep them because of this)
But ultimately they don't really "eat" the algae, they suck out cells, and then the algae dies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Lettuce Sea Slug I think has just finished laying eggs on the glass at the top of the tank. What should I do and will they make it??

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
My Lettuce Sea Slug I think has just finished laying eggs on the glass at the top of the tank. What should I do and will they make it??
<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN ad zones in first post --><!-- END ad zones in first post --><!-- sig -->
Mine turned into about 100 little guys that grew up and I gave most of them away to a researcher

1 - 8 of 8 Posts