The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just thinking about picking up a lettuce sea slug for some quick hair algae/bryopsis help. The bryopsis I can deal with, pretty easy to pull out. But the hair algae is killing me. Especially on the hard to reach LR. Never had a problem till a recent coral brought some into the tank and its slowly invading. I do all the slow, long term care to eradicate but wanted some help in the mean time and have read these lettuce slugs can devour it. Now I have heard conflicting info and wanted your input. My plan is to buy 1 or 2 and see if they eat it. As the algae is depleted I will trade them back to my LFS. In your experience are they worth purchasing? Do they actually eat the stuff (of course each animal is different). Lastly I heard these guys often die in our tanks and I don't like promoting the sale of animals that have no chance of survival. Any thoughts? Tnx!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
it very seldom ever works to get a critter to eat to eat something you want removed. it is better to get to the root of the algae problem and not try and find things to eat it.

if they do it, then trading them back in will just bring the algae back. you have not gotten rid of the fuel for the algae. the nutrients need to removed in order to remove the algae. have you been siphoning your sandbed clean of detritus every water change? how long has the tank been setup?

G~

1 - 3 of 3 Posts