The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I was looking at another post (I already forgot who's) who had a great toadstool that had attached itself onto the glass... It got me thinking - my toadstool just doesn't seem to be happy in my tank. When I first brought it home - it was open for the first few weeks - then for the last few weeks it's been mostly closed, shedding it's skin, and only coming out a little bit. The most I've had it open was 3/4 of it... I've tried moving it to different places (I know - I need to STOP moving it!) But I wanted to know where everyone keeps theirs in their tank - what they like. Right now he's towards the back of the tank with the stalk kind of laying on the ground - when I first put him there he opened about 1/2 way the first day... I know he's healthy because after mentioning it to my LFS a few times - he got worried that he may be dying and asked me to bring it in (I live 5 minutes away) as soon as he saw it he said that it's fully healthy - that I could trade it if I wanted, but I wanted to keep it because I really like it! So talk to me! What is it your toadstool likes - and what do you recomend? Here are the 2 pictures I have of it...

This first one is shortly after I brought him home...

This one is recently - but I've moved him from that spot and onto the sand in the back center of my tank... This is the most he's been open since those first few weeks...

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
what kind of flow do you have on him. They like tons of flow, direct flow

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Kimsie, Toadstools get small and ugly and shed periodically. Mine used to turn gray and the tentacles wouldn't open when it was shedding. It will look fine again in 4 - 7 days, but be even bigger. I can't post a pic because it's gone now, it outgrew my tank, it got over 9" in about a year. (I traded it back to the LFS.) Don

·
The Watcher
2,046 Posts
I have one that I purchased from Sndwave. I placed it in my 45 gallon where it was looking great for a few days, then it closed up, shed and then opened for a few days and then closed again. It stayed closed for weeks and a brown scabby looking substance was slowly creeping up the stalk. I moved it around int he tank trying different heights, and flow. Finally in frustartion i removed it and placed it in my Nanocube 12DX, two days later it opened up and the scabby stuff flaked off. It looks awesome now! However I want to move it back to my big tank, trying to debate when i should try it again.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I agree with luvmylo, try a little more flow on the toadstool, especially if it takes a long time to shed it's waxy layer. You may also want to make sure you are doing water changes to keep your iodine levels normal.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
toadstools, and all other "leathers" need lots of flow because of the waxy layer that builds up on them. If they don't have the flow the waxy layer will build up and eventually kill them. you need atleast enough flow to make them sway a little. I'll give you an example. We were having a hard time keeping leathers alive in the lfs where I work. They are in 65 gallon tanks with seio pumps in them. The seios still had the little directional adapter that they come with and that restricts flow alot! I went through all the tanks, took the little adapters off, pointed the pumps in the right direction and the next day all the leathers were either looking better or had full polyp extension. I don't have any leathers now as I have gotten rid of all my softies but I have kept them before and very succesful with them.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
well said Luv, and others!
yup K, that was my Leatehr you were looking at.
he gets diredt flow from the mag 5 spray bar! and yes he lcoses down for several days at a time..and when he sheds..good god!..one thing i noticed, they dont tend to like others touching them at all.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts