The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
125G Reef Tank
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of people on here and other forums recommending RODI. I'm currently spending about $15/weekly to pay for 25g of salt water and 10 gal of fresh. If I were to switch to my own mix, would I really be saving that much money?

I figure $.05/gal from tap ($20 for the month) and about $40-60/month worth of salt mix. All in all:

From fish store - $60/mo
From tap - $60+/mo

What am I missing? What are some of the other benefits to RODI units? What do you do? :read:

·
Reef Junkie
1,544 Posts
Figure about .35 cents per gallon of saltwater mixed at home. So less than $9 for 25 gallons of salt water - add about .50 cents for the 10 gallons of fresh. That's a substantial savings over the premade water you're buying.

Convenience and knowing exactly whats in it is worth a lot as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For starters, no more spending gas money to go to the LFS, you would now have the ease of making your own SW at home and having it on hand when needed or in case of an emergency (knock on wood). Plus you also get to create your own mix in respects to the need of your tank. The SpectraPure MadCap 90GPD or BRS 5-Stage Plus 150GPD RO/DI Units are very popular right now. But there's many to choose from.

·
125G Reef Tank
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Convenience and knowing exactly whats in it is worth a lot as well.
I figured this was another major plus to owning one.

My problem is I'm living in an apartment on the ground floor, so while I hate lugging 5g jugs in and out, I don't want to have to alter any plumbing (Sink adapter does not work for my sink as far as I've checked... would have to plumb).

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can purchase a kitchen sink faucet adapter through BRS, you may need, a booster pump if your water pressure is low but it may be something to look into...

·
125G Reef Tank
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about the water hookup at the washing machine.
I have a stack washer/dryer which came with the apt that is built into a w/d closet with plumbing in back. Would that be easier than plumbing it under a sink? What about before/after the apt water heater - it's in the garage next to the trashcans I use for water changes anyway. Would this be a relatively easy thing to set up?

·
Registered
196 Posts
As far as plumbing goes I hooked mine up to a 1/4" line that was coming from the cold water to a furnace humidifier that I don't use. It works great and is in my basement. Obviously that wouldn't be what you have. But my point is that those refrigerator ice/water kits do exactly that. A simple valve self taps into your existing cold water line. You open it and voila, you have a 1/4" water line to go to your RODI. But then if you have limited space you have to think about making the water, storing, etc. Since the home RODI systems make only ~75 Gallons per day (or more depending on what you buy) it can be a pain waiting to fill a small jug. It's easier to have a big container of some sort so you can leave it on for a while. An auto shut off might help with that.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
With small systems and low RO/DI demands you may not see a huge cost savings but the biggest plus if you have ultimate control over your water quality. $125 from Spectrapure for a true reef quality system with low micron sediment and carbon block filters, a specially treated and batch tested high rejection rate 90 GPD RO membrane, custom blended fresh SilicaBuster DI resin, a capillary tube flow restrictor that can be precisely adjusted and an inline pressure gauge.

Another big selling point for those of us in the desert southwest is the ability to make RO only water for drinking, cooking, pet watering, ice maker etc. You can add a drinking water kit with a pressure tank, ASOV and faucet for about $59 and it is a great investment, no more cases of bottled water or water deliveries.

The easiest way to plumb a RO or RO/DI is a garden hose wye on the washing machine cold water supply. You also have a good place for the waste with the washer drain. My RO/DI is mounted on the wall above my laundry sink, next to the washer/dryer so is easy to service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts