The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay recently I have come across some really weird tissue and polyp behavior in another sps keepers tank. First I will describe what it is I see as I have only a few pics to share .

As I look at this tank I notice that most of the acros have a very heavy fleshy apperance almost like their retaining water or resembles a slight burn that blistered a bit but not too much . As I continue to look I also notice that all of the acros including some montis have swollen polyps and the polyps look like a flower before it opens ( tuliped) .

Now allitle about the tank from what I know and these will be the important things........ The tank does have a DSB , The tank has been nuked for Red bugs nemerous time leading to unwanted cyano .......That led to vodka with some sucess.....Eventually that led to the use of Prodibio and genisis fuel ......Anyways the real question at hand is what causes this ? Almost sounds like Hyperplasia or Neoplasia but on a different scale. Also I know coral polyps provide atleast 2 functions 1. to take in food and to regulate co2 .Maybe the corals are full but still providing co2 exchange??

Anyways here are some pictures .

This picture shows a coral which clearly shows tuliped polyps

you can also see the old super fleshy look.

Here are 2 out of 6 corals that I took home that day . Don't look at color but look at the polyps and tissue.As these show the fleshy look.

here they are 2 days later 3 of 6 polyps are starting to open and flesh has gone down some .

Has anyone have any explainations or articles I can read to find out more .

BTW none of my acros show this or ever have and I have awesome color and explosive growth.

Spanky I could use some help :D

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
You know I have to say that they are all swollen and hung over from the vodka, right? :D

If I had to guess, I would say they are puffed up like that from some toxicity. Anemones are a larger visual aid, and that's exactly what they do too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Twitterbait said:
sounds like a massive WC is in order...
Whats your reasoning ?Are you in agreement with Spanky ?

I agree maybe a toxic compound can't be the cause of this but I am also looking for dome writen stuff which I can reference to . Its hard to convince the owner otherwise. I have no problems searching either I just feel I am looking in the wrong places for the wrong things.

Also, since the frags from that persons tank have been in my tank they have decrease tissue inflation and the polyps are starting to open like a flower once again .

Spanky can there be too much of a certain bacteria that may also show the same effects..........Like dosing a bacteria and a carbon source which makes that certain bacteria become very abundant?

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
Whatever it is, seems like the zoox don't mind, there's no bleaching as far as I can see (assuming htis is a bad thing of course ;) ). Kind of backs up the zoox bailing theory.

I guess Twitterbait's reasoning comes from the massive amount of products that have been added to this particular tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I cant see the pictures (photobucket says they have been removed) but by the description it sounds similiar to one of my acros that has "inflates" at the tips and from time-to-time even inflates over 80% (or so) of the acro. This acro grows very quickly, and sometimes when the tips get too inflated they burst and a slimey substance emits. Usually the cut heals within a day. This acro has done this for months, it is always inflated to some degree and it is the only acro I have that does this. Any thoughts?

Here are soem pics:

I cant imagine this being healthy, but this is probably the fastest growing acro I have? i dont know what to think of it.

-Incase anyone is interested, frags of this limited edition A. Bloatiousus (VERY RARE!!!) can be purchased from me, just pm me your CC # and I will take care of the rest ;).

-John-

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
That is my reasoning exactly. anytime you add something to your tank you have a possible problem on your hand... hence the first and most important rule of reefkeeping....

***NEVER ADD ANYTHING TO YOUR TANK THAT YOU CAN'T TEST FOR.***

Even following the directions on the treatment is not a guarentee for success. there is no clearinghouse for aquarium products (like the FDA for humans) so the claims of these manufacturers are based solely off their own research. sometimes we get an actual scientist involved but that is rare. because of this a lot of the important testing is not done, the most important of which is long term effects of these treatments on a tank and the effects of multiple applications to find the levels of toxicity. It looks like this tank has been nuked by so many different treatments that the corals are having difficulty maintaining their ability to control tissue expansion. While the coral may survive and even grow, i see big issues with the ability of this coral to protect itself from disease and questionable integrity of the coral skeleton.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I know this is old but I have now seen this in my tank with one coral an orange cap. Not blistering but the tuliped polyps.

Anyways in the light they are tuliped in the shade thay are normal to recessed. It is the only coral our of 80+ that shows these signs.

BTW I feel if we go by the don't add what you can't test for motto then we shouldn't add salt to our tanks ;) since we can not test for everything thats in the salt mixes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a green stag growing which has a couple tips that do this. It is still growing fast (fastest grower in tank) but I'd love to know what the real deal is.

·
11,345 Posts
I had a coral that was doing this in the midst of my aefw nightmares.........i damaged it several times by poking it thinking it was a fricken worm on the end as it was only doing it on one fat part of a fat base(the coral is about 1" diameter, 3" long..... short and stubby)......i finally let it be and it was just trying to grow i fouond out as time went by.........

dont have anything beyond that to add ..........just that.........

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Anyone ever figure this out? I have an acro that does this as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts