The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so some people have suggested that I go with freshwater for this tank...I am liking the idea a little better...hate to leave the void behind the bar.

Can some of you give me some ideas for a nice freshwater set up that would be low maintenance (I don't think I want plants - don't want to have to worry about the lights too much).

I don't think I need a sump...I want easy and low maintenance...please. I know there are some of you out there that can help me with this. Let me know what you think!!!

Of course pictures are welcome...

I have not had freshwater for quite some time and I only ever had 10gal tanks. This could be fun to get some nice schooling fish and not have to pay like $10 each for them.

Would I still use RO water? What would I use for filtration?? Do I need any real water flow?? I can use my existing lights (right?)

Thanks all!

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
FW is easy and I still have my 46 running. Great for the kid(s) to watch.

Basic gravel and a good filter(s). You can probably get 2 HOB filters and maybe a power head or to and be all set. (I would reccomend a canister filter for your tank size but I am saving you that nightmare again.)

There are allot of nice FW fish. Some african cichlids are colorful and active.

Monthly water changes and vacuming the gravel is about it IME. No worries about top off every day either.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Can anyone give me an idea on a nice freshwater filter for a tank this size??

Also, what are the rules on fish in a freshwater tank (I mean I used to go by 10" in a 10gal tank), would I be good up to 125"??? Thats a lot of fish...lol!!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
well when i sell someone a 125g for freshwater i always sell them the Fluval FX5. It is rated for up to 400g and has a flow rate of 925gph. This will filter your tank about 10 times. Every customer i set up like this has said how nice, easy, and beautiful the tank looks. Just get that filter, heater, and nice gravel/rocks and your good. An africian chillid tank is always nice. There are alot of very nice looking FW fish. Most of them are the africians but some are not

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thank you for the thought, however if I am to sell this to my wife, we need to keep everything contained to the tank. No more hoses and stuff...lol!!

Not to mention this thing is expensive!!! $300 wow!!

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Look at either the Emperor (Marineland) HOB filters or the Whisper Fitlers (Smaller though).

Always good luck with them on my FW tanks.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well when i sell someone a 125g for freshwater i always sell them the Fluval FX5. It is rated for up to 400g and has a flow rate of 925gph. This will filter your tank about 10 times. Every customer i set up like this has said how nice, easy, and beautiful the tank looks. Just get that filter, heater, and nice gravel/rocks and your good. An africian chillid tank is always nice. There are alot of very nice looking FW fish. Most of them are the africians but some are not
I didn't mean to dismiss your suggestion. Please don't take it that way...

I have a question...with something like this, can the intake be set up high so that if something comes loose it does not drain the entire tank? Is the objective of one of these filters to take water from down low? Do I need this particular model?? Are there any that are less expensive that are worthwile? Thanks for your help.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Never seen that one so I cant comment.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If I was doing it and wanted a HOB filter than I would get 2 of the AC 110s. And also if you are doing any type of Cichlid I would use sand in the tank. Gravel is a major pain in the... They are very messy eaters and a lot of fun to watch! I had a 125 with about 100 Africans.

Of course for that tank I would go with a colony of Fronts. Some nice Mobas would look awesome in there.

All Africans have great personalities too.

Chris

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I'm not sure but I think you can even use your rock from the salt water tank in with the cichlids. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in. The tank at my vets has cichlids with what looks like salt water rock.

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
I would go with a planted tank and light it with light bulbs... we just put a hood together for Erin's 20 long ( my 4 year old)
I have a smal hob filter and a heater and the lights.

Plants give you even more leeway in your filter since they do the same as a macro algea in the sw tanks.

however you may need to add co2 to a tank that big and then that moves away from simple.... ask whiskey he just broke down his 180 fw planted....

but rule of fw fish is 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water - roughly.
SO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more fish in that tank if it's fresh :)

I would go with a community tank with some drift wood and plants
soil from the hardware store - 1.00 a bag (1 bag filled my 20 gallon long)
pea sized gravel - 15.00 for a 20 lb

you might be able to use your exsiting lights on the planted tank... i really dont' know.

but pretty friendly fish would be my go at it - groumies ( sp) , mollies, tetras...

hth :)

Amy

·
Registered
498 Posts
Cichlids are almost SW fish. Actually listed as the link between FW and SW fish. I used to add Cichlid lake salt and and some buffer for my PH. They do best in hard water with some salt. I am not sure how the "lake salt" compares to NSW. Calcium levesl need to be high. They do recommend aragonite sand. So if you are using sand in your SW setup you could probably reuse it safely. I have read alot about using SW stuff to change over to FW and its fine but never use FW used stuff in SW.

Chris

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the AC110's,.. I used one on my 125 when it was an Oscar tank and I never had trouble with it,.. I sold it eventually but used it for a couple years.

I really think you should think about plants:

Whiskey
Whiskey...can you make a trip out to NY and help me out please?!?!

Can I have plants with VHO's?? Are the plants expensive?? I have no idea how to do plants. You actually put soil in the tank? I am so clueless on this...anyone have a build thread for a tank like this?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,658 Posts
For my 125 with Oscars one of those filters was enough.

I do have a build thread on my 180 out on a planted board,.. if I don't remember to find it for you please PM and remind me.

The VHO's will be more than fine,.. I would think 2, 160W VHO's would be more than enough,.. too much light is a bad thing on planted tanks, especially low tech ones. Ya,.. it used Potting soil under an inch of gravel,.. it's the same setup as the smaller tank the link is to in my sig.

You buy me the ticket and I'll head up! I've never been any further east than IL,.. might be fun.

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 50 Posts