The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this coral up at Atlantis, I'm sure the guy I bought from said that they were Green Star Polyps. I was talking to Keri at Dan Co's and he pointed out GSP's and I was shocked. I probably didn't hear what they really were in all the excitment of buying a new coral. Therefore, I have nobody to blame but myself. Please help me I.D. these very nice looking green star looking polyp things. Thanks. I hope I am attaching them correctly.

By the by, these look like stars. They have white centers with 8 green arms that look like anenomy arms. Very cool looking, but not Green Star Polyps? Maybe a type of GSP? If you need better pictures, please ask and I'll try to get in closer.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Found this one the web.....

The Starburst Polyps are also referred to as Star, Eight Tentacle, Mat, or Daisy Polyps. They are usually white or brown with a white dot in the center of each polyp, although, some more rare Starburst Polyps are green. The green specimens have been called Clavularia viridis; however, they are now identified as a Pachyclavularia sp. They have the distinctive eight-leaved tentacles on each polyp. They are colonial animals with several individual polyps attached to a piece of live rock.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are either one of those the same as Starburst? These really, really, really look like the all the pictures I found of starburst. So much in fact, that I am willing to use my extensive knowledge of the hobby (All two months) to say they are...lol.

Thanks, I'm looking up both of those now for comparison pics.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Agreed! Starburst. lol, That's cool. Gives you a wide assortment of softies now that you have some GSP also. :) Now we need pics of the newest stuff you picked up. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Kerri,

The GSP had two serpant stars and two clams on them. The clams move pretty good. It almost looks like I can pull them off the gsp rock and move them elsewhere in the tank as a frag. The gsp mat grows on top of both of them and they stretch it everytime they move.

The Frogspawn still hasen't opened. I'm guessing the stress of the frag & transfer. How long do you think it will take before this guy comes out?

I already know the gsp will take a week. I've read they can be tempermental.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
jjaalmaraz said:
Kerri,

The GSP had two serpant stars and two clams on them. The clams move pretty good. It almost looks like I can pull them off the gsp rock and move them elsewhere in the tank as a frag. The gsp mat grows on top of both of them and they stretch it everytime they move.

The Frogspawn still hasen't opened. I'm guessing the stress of the frag & transfer. How long do you think it will take before this guy comes out?

I already know the gsp will take a week. I've read they can be tempermental.
Cool hitchhikers! :)

Frogspawn should take no more than 48 hours to open again. The GSP should take less than a week.

Looking foward to some tank pics when they open up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can you please take the coral out of the water so they close up, and take a picture so we can see the mat. I am 110% sure that they are star polyps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is Pacyclavularia violacea. Keep them under attension my last tank they almost took over the whole tank. Grows fast and under LR and comes up all over the tank. If U are planning on keeping stonecoral place them far away from these buggers *** they tend to grow over them and kill them.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
teddan said:
Pacyclavularia violacea.
After googling (is that a word yet) that quote above, It is very likely a variety of GSP. The Starburst as liveaquaria has them listed is probably just another common name for them.

So, I think I can agree that they are a FORM of GSP. There are more than one form of GSP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ReefNeck said:
After googling (is that a word yet) that quote above, It is very likely a variety of GSP. The Starburst as liveaquaria has them listed is probably just another common name for them.

So, I think I can agree that they are a FORM of GSP. There are more than one form of GSP.
sorry missed an "h" try Pachyclavularia violacea

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
ReefNeck said:

Yes, It's in the lastest Websters edition

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Googling)
Jump to: navigation, search
<!-- start content -->The verb to google means "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine. "Mary googled for Wikipedia references." Compare with grep. This new word arose from the tremendous popularity of the Google search engine. The American Dialect Society chose the verb to google as the "most useful word of 2002."

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
In picture #2, you can see the Starburst mat in the upper right had corner. I have regular GSP in the tank now and the mats look exactly alike except for the difference in color. The regular GSP is a light purple while the Starburst is as dark as purple coraline algae. The other difference is that the regular GSP is more featherlike while the Starburst is more bubblelike. I counted the tentacles on several of them and they each have 8 tentacles. Pic #3 shows the mat of regular GSP.

The frogspawn has retreated deeper into its stem and there has been a white stringy substance coming out of it. Also, some of the bulbs have dropped down off of the stem. Is this normal? I picked it up yesterday late in the afternoon, so I'm guessing if I just leave it alone, it will open up over the next few days. For all you who have picked up Frogspawn, did you notice anything like this? Is this on the extreme end or normal?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
If the frog spawn wasn't handled properly when being bagged it could have damaged the polyps they need to be retracted before removing them from the water, the weight of the polyps can cause them to tear from skeleton. Frog spawns usually open up after a few hours when place in the tank.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If the frogspawn was mishandled then the person that bagged it should replace it!

Since that person was me....I stand behind my corals and if it dies, I will replace it at no cost. It was not mishandled though but I still stand behind my corals.

JJ, Keep an eye on it and if it does lose it's tissue I'll replace it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts