The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im playing around with various led colors to see what combo I like best.
I got 2 - 24w dimmable 700ma drivers and 1- 33w 700ma driver

as for leds i ordered
10 3w white 3300k 3.6-3.8v 700ma
10 blue 3w 465-475nm 3.4-3.8v 700ma
10 royal blue 450-455nm 3.4-3.8v 700ma
2 green 510-530nm 3.4-3.8v 700ma
10 white 6000-6500 3.2-3.8v 700ma
10 purple 405-410nm 3.2-3.4v 600-700ma

I dont plan on using all of them. I'm trying these on a 10g frag tank and if I like the finished product I'd like to duplicate it on my 72g.

Thought, ideas, color selections all welcome. Anyone who has done something similar with different colors will be a great help here. Rustl3r has been a great help so far but I figured everyones help would lead to me having to ask him fewer questions.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got everything but the blues and warm whites. Hopefully by the end of the week I can start trying some combos. The frag tank I set up for this started leaking from the bottom the other day so I had to drain it. Less than a year old too.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I wanna see this I've wanted to do the DIY LEDs when I get some money wiring is fun to me I've been doing my own mobile audio since I could drive

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
What if you divvy the LEDs up and have two different combos over the tank. Separate the lights with a panel or something so it doesn't bleed to much to one side. You can see the growth between two combos and compare. It would be awesome an very informative.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What if you divvy the LEDs up and have two different combos over the tank. Separate the lights with a panel or something so it doesn't bleed to much to one side. You can see the growth between two combos and compare. It would be awesome an very informative.
I might be able to do something like that. I also ordered some reds today. Might as well get a bunch of options.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this project has come to an end for now. Im not sure its the cheap leds but the algae is outta control. The display still looks fine but the frag tang is covered in brownish fine hair algae. The glass, egg crate, everything. Theres no sand, good flow so I have reason to believe its the leds. Lesson learned I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts