The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back.

After 4 years of college, getting a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, moving to San Diego, and starting a new job, its time to start back up again.

I don't know how big of a tank I'm going to get, but some of my goals for this build are:

1. energy efficient
  2. connected technology
  3. easy maintenance
  4. Tang-friendly
  5. more than likely high-flow SPS
  6. probably using sump

Since I've been gone for so long, are there any new and cool pieces of technology / trends that have been released? I need to catch up! :D

Looking forward to sharing this journey to all my old friends on here, and to everyone I don't know, say hi and follow along!

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
A lot depends on your budget.
Energy efficient, I think LEDs and DC pumps will be your best there. I could be wrong.
Many of the reef controllers offer internet connectivity.
If you want easy maintenance Bare Bottom would be the way to go.
Tang friendly, depends on what type and how many Tangs you want, but I would go minimum 150, 200 gallon tank.
Closed Loop circulation systems give you good bang for the buck in circulation.
If you want something like you describe a sump would be pretty much a necessity to do it easily.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,995 Posts
Hey David, welcome back! Looking forward to your build. Have you moved yet, or in the process? I see your 'location' just up dated from Kansas to San Diego. Does this mean since your back, Margariville will be getting visited more often now?:thumbup: All the best,
Hack

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

Quick update, I've pretty much set myself on a 120 gallon. I just love having that 2 ft of depth, but not needing the extra lighting and what not that comes with having a 6ft tank.

I've been scanning the local craigslist for a 120 gallon tank, and my have came across a listing. If not, theres a LFS that has new 120's built for about $400, which isn't terrible.

I checked glass cages as well, and their prices were slightly above the LFS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts