The Reef Tank banner

Let's Chop 'er up!!!

1K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Fat Tony 
#1 ·
OK our torch has gotten to big for it's own good so lets frag 'er!
here are some pictures of it so whoever wants to help figure the best place to start I'm all ears.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
found some discs and plugs at petland but still not EXACTLY sure where to cut or which is the best way to mount it. I have tried doing research on it but I have not been lucky on finding any sites with good info. I am however gonna chop up my galaxia over the next few days.

#12 ·
For torch corals, I usually just make short cups out of PVC and use them to hold the frags until I can get rid of them. When I mount them on live rock, I drill a hole in the rock just wide enough for the branch to fit into and put a ball of epoxy in there before inserting the branch. Some live tissue does live in the branch so cut as low as you can.

#22 ·
There were a couple reasons why I switched from using a dremel to using pruning shears. The angle that you are able to work with is limited by the body of of the dremel so I couldn't make a 90 degree cut. Unless you are working with a rechargable dremel, using water to keep the coral cool may be a darwin move. bzzzzzt. Electricity and water doesn't mix well. I could never find a cutting disc with a large enough diameter to cut all of the way through. I ended up cutting around the branch resulting in a sloppy cut. Here's what I use.

I've never had a coral crack when using these and I've fragged plenty of pretty thick torch and hammer corals.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GIKP1A/themussou08248298-20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.