The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the 75 is coming down shortly. I just ordered the tank and I will be documenting the progress in this thread. Was going to go with an all-glass tank. However it was tough to pass down an acrylic tank. Plus Bob might of beat me down if I didn't have him build it:rotflmao: . Tank is going to be a 120 gal 48X24X24. Most of the stuff from the 75 will transfer over. Sump will roughly be 30 gallons or 40 gallons in size. If the skimmer will fit in the old 30 sump I will use that if not that will get upgraded to. Return pump is going to be a pan-world 150ps with a penductor and the in tank flow will be the Tunze 6100's on the multicontroller. Lighting config will be the same as it is now. 2X 250w xm 10k bulbs on icecap ballasts. 440w of actinic lighting. The stand is going to stand 48" tall to make sure the tank is at eye level. I might be adding a sequence Dart for a closed loop but am still debating about that. The reefmania skimmer will be under the stand instead of sitting next to the tank. CA reactor will be the current reefmania reactor. I hope to have this accomplished in two months but being as patient as I am it will probally take less than that.:) As far as substrate well I am allmost positive what I will use;)

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Nice John! I wish the best of luck to you that all goes smooth. You will love that size of a tank. That I assure you. :) ps I am excited i love build threads.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hink said:
I just don't see what you like in all that sand :doh: :D
Algae, phosphates, nitrates what more could a guy ask for:rotflmao: . The final diagram was given to Bob tonight. Objective was to make the tunzes and the closed loop as hidden as possible. Tunzes will be mounted kind of externally along with the over flow on the right side of the tank. The closed loop will consist of rock rack like Greg did on his 450 gal. As Bob reads this he is :rolleyes: as he knows how I like to change my mind.;) Returns will come in from the opposite end of the tank. Over flows on right and returns on the left. Hopefully will start on the stand next week sometime when I can find time.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the general layout of how it will be configured. The returns on the left side and the overflow on the right with 2 1.5" bulkheads. The overflow and the tunze box's are seperated from the tank to keep it a nice even look inside the tank. The intakes for the closed loop are both 1" and the returns on the closed loop are both 1". The intakes will be completelly hidden out of site. As I stated before I am going the route Greg shields did on his. 1" pvc with 4 3/4" loc lines coming out of each one. Drawing is not to scale but you get the idear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Very nice Winger... I was thinking af doing something similar. I'm going to do some form of a closed loop with 2 returns on each side of the tank with eductors and an iwaki pump of some form for mega flow plus Tunzes on a controller.

Pm'd ya..

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plumbing. Here is the idea that I have. The dart has a 2 inch intake and 1.5 inch output. I am planning on running two 1" intakes under the live rock racks and combinging them into the 2" intake that the pump accepts. For the outputs of the dart I was planning on 1.5" split into two 1" pipes and then into four 3/4 inch locklines on each rock rack.

The ps150 return has a 1" intake which I will run 1" pipe to but then will split them into two 3/4" with penductors on them. What is everyone's thoughts on that.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about a pic of where it is going to go:)

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be running another two 20 amp circuits down to where the outlet is. So in essence the tank will have access to three 20 amp circuits:thumbup:

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Nice mine is running off of 1 15 amp circuit :freak:

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah in the corner in the same area where the Hold em' table is usually setup. Speaking of when this is all done, I will have to plan another one in late september. Hockey season is right around the corner and I want to see Koi boy again.:thumbup:

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rihanssu said:
yeah rolston, gabby, and Pavol Demitra on the same line??? burn wings BURN!
Such anger, such hatred, dam the fact you have no cup:p

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How many did the stars have? Any ways back on topic. How does the plumbing for the pumps sound?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
redwinger said:
How many did the stars have?
you know how to cut deep..... :angry:

but on alighter note i like your design! what pump are you gonna use for a CL?

1 - 20 of 268 Posts