The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 gallon hex reef tank with a Neon Dottyback and an Arc Eye Hawkfish. I have a mixture of LPS, Leathers, and Softies, plus one small Scroll Coral. I will be adding 1 small Gold Stripe Maroon Clown soon. Depending on which fish I get, I will add it next or wait and let it be the last fish I add. I will have 4 fish total, after I get the Clown and a Leopard Wrasse or Dispar Anthias. My question is, which of the two (Wrasse or Anthias) would be the best candidate for my tank?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
not sure either of those would be a good match for you tank. :( the leopard wrasse is a picky eater. a 40 will not have the pod population needed to feed a leopard wrasse.

the fish you already have in there are fairly aggressive. not sure the anthias would get a chance to eat with a clown and a dottyback fighting for food.

G~

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Geoff for the advice.

Can you recommend any other fish? I definitely want 4 fish total, so I would like to add the GS Maroon Clown and something else. I thought about the Leopard Wrasse, because they are really cool, and I thought it could hold it's own, but if it will starve, I don't want to mess with that. What if I have a refugium? I'm not dead set on it though, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
a refugium really would not help. maybe setting up another system for growing pods would, but this is generally a lot more trouble than it is worth.

other fish options: gonna be kinda tough with those two meanies in there, the dotty back and the clown. maybe a damsel of somekind. i know, they are the devil, but they will hold their own against the clown and the dottyback. a six-lined wrasse might also be a good choice.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
six-lined wrasses are pretty tough little guys. they are also easy to keep. it would to better if it was added first with that group of caracters, but a good sized one should be able to hold its own.

in a 40g tank that may be it. not necessarily for bioload reasons, but territorial reasons.

G~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts