The Reef Tank banner

Leopard Wrasse and Canary Wrasse

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MariahABMB96 
#1 ·
So, recently I have been taken with lovely leopard wrasses I see at my LFS. I have decided that I will most likely take out my three Allen's damsels and replace them with three leopard wrasses. My concern is my canary wrasse. He was the first fish in the tank, and I have been advised against putting a leopard in with him since they are both sand-dwellers at night. My plan is to capture him using some sort of fish trap (probably a 2-liter bottle rig) and put him in a hanging acrylic box until the leopards have adapted to their surroundings. I would release him after a few weeks(?) and he is bigger than them so I don't think he would have a problem with being bullied. What do you think of this plan? I would make sure the leopards are well adapted before this point, and they are always eating at the store. I feed them myself as I work there once a week.

I also have a tomini tang that might stir things up, but with three of them I don't think he would be a problem? Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
How big is this tank? Leopard wrasses are among the more difficult Ishmael to care for, as most only eat live foods, and they often won't eat frozen or prepared foods. It's hard enough to keep a pod population large enough to support 1, let alone 3 leopard wrasses. Also, do you know if they are make or female? I would think 2 males would not mix well together. When it comes to the canary, I'm not sure how aggressive they are. I know with some wrasses you will have to redo the rock work to limit the aggression.

#3 ·
My to-be-supplier of leopard wrasses actually has amazing luck getting leopards to eat frozen! Once he gets a shipment, the only challenge is seeing how many survive the shipment. I watch them feed all the time and they eat well. So my problem isn't maintaining them, but limiting aggression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.