The Reef Tank banner

Leopard Shark Legality

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  greenbean36191 
#1 ·
Leopard Sharks are illegal in the US? I've been told this, can anyone verify exactly what the deal is? Someone has offered to give me one for a large system I have access to, however if this fish is illegal i won't take him. Any help or sources or both are appreciated. TIA

#2 ·
It is Unlawful to catch Leopard Sharks that are less then 3 feet in length and a violation of Federal Fish and Wildlife Regulations to keep a small one in captivity.

how big is the shark you're planning to get ?
and how big is the tank you'r planning to put it in ?

FWIW,
i have caught (and will continue to do so) many leopard sharks locally (catch & release) they grow quite big. 5ft long is no exception.

J.

#5 ·
Well we already house a refugee Wobbegong Shark that will quickly outgrow the system, but this marbled cat shark will fit in nicely. We are in the market for a Horn Shark to add as well but they are infrequently available through our distributors. Again this system is large and devoted to sharks, it will be a sad, tough day when the Wobby outgrows it. The design does give them a lot of room to move around though. A Marbled, Horn, or Bamboo Shark could live comfortably i am sure of it. Its only about three feet deep and pretty wide. Thanks for the input! Ill post pics tomorrow if i get a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.