The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering getting a Lemon Peel for my 40gal reef tank but was a bit unsure about housing it as I thought members of the angel family like to snack on corals. My LFS had recommended the yellow tang but unless I'm mistaken, my tank is way too small for one. The more I go there the more I think they are ... :arg: (and $$ in their eyes)
If anyone thinks the lemon peel will be okay in my tank please chime in. If not, second on my list was a royal dottyback

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Not reef safe. Despite the "50/50 chance" and "keep it well fed" posts that are bound to follow, it's going to nip certain corals. You can't change an animals food preference.

Royal dottyback is an aggresive fish. Despite it's size, they will aggresively chase any fish out of their territory. For a similar looking fish, I would go with a Royal Gramma.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
agreed, no go on the lemon peel. If anything, they're one of the worst dwarf angels. I'd consider a canary wrasse over the dottyback, myself. Those are reef safe (despite what you may otherwise read) and very docile.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was going with the dottyback over the gramma as they are a local species, a gramma would have to be imported. I have read they can be a bit fiesty, its other tank mates would be a percula clown, 2 blue/green chromis and a horned blenny so didn't think it would be a problem except for stealing the blenny's hiding spots.
I was after a swimming fish rather than a hiding one, so that canary wrasse sounds great. Thanks for the help :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts