The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to upgrade my lighting since I only have a Current Marine Orbit 48". I'm checking out eBay and seeing most LED fixtures at 120 or 165 Watt. The 120s are white and blue. The 165s are full spectrum. They run about $75-90. I think I'll eventually need 2, but will start with one to supplement what I have now. It's a 90 gallon tank. I have a couple of softies. Figure I'll get one side of the tank going first.

Anyhow, I found this on ebay. No idea if it's going to go up too much in price but this looks like a great deal for 300watt.

Is this suitable? I have looked up a few things I need but maybe i'm overlooking something...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MarsAqua-Di...6713496?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item566aaa0018

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have one of the 165w ones and my coral like it. Mine has the bridgelux leds so not sure on the epistar leds. I I've had it almost a year and still going good. I think there a great budget light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you get it? I clicked the link and it was sold. keep us posted and tell us how good is it.

I have 4 AI hydras fixtures and my biggest question is how to set the intensity of each color. Im getting a lot of hair algae since i put the LED lights, anyone can help?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I ordered one of the 165 full spectrum ones. Should be here next week. It's for a 20 long, so maybe over kill... I'm hoping I can just hang it higher and it'll be OK. If not, I can always move it to the 55 - it also has the Orbit on it, but just with sofites and a few LPS its been doing well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
ChoWing, I have a reef radiance fixture over my 20 long. Same # of leds just different layout and colors. But the big difference is all are 90deg optics except the outer row which are 120deg for better light spread. It's 14" above the water and it's a little more dim on the outside but not much. So if yours are all 90deg I'm guessing a little darker yet. It's the one on my profile pic if you want to look

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Thanks Stangs! Glad to hear and see that it's working well for you. Did you have to adjust yours much as far as distance from the tank goes to find the spot where it worked best for your coral? I haven't decided if I'll use the mount that comes with it or if I'll hang it from the ceiling.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mine are hanging 14" about the water. I'm not home right now but if I remember right my whites are at 35% and blues 40%. So far everything is looking great. 1 green birdsnest, 1 pink birdsnest, green acro, red Monti, purple Monti cap, few different zoos, palys, canycane, and most recent a maxima clam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts