The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
The idea interests me, and the claims are neat.

But I'm one to sit back and wait for some guinee pigs! hehehe

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
LEDs are very inexpensive. Pricing needs to come way down! Initial price gouging!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i didnt see a price, ive heard of this being worked out though, i think its great, it has the potential of being WAY cheaper than MH, and it still gives the shimmer effect, lets just see how well they grow coral.

edit, nevermind, i found the price, they are crazy, ill wait for the next company to do the exact same thing at a third of the price.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
hmm, seems to put almost a spot light effect on some of those pics, like its really super bright directly below the pack of leds, they should space em out better or barely concave the pack so it spreads better. looks gret though, id sure love one.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
PFO developed them. the cost is not so bad when you consider that they will last 5-10 years without need to replace the bulbs. plus they use 40%less power and generate very little heat. I think they are awsome... i'm just poor :mad: here is a better link to the stats on these things.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Solaris price
<HR style="COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->14" $849
24" $1308
36" $1878
48" $2325
60' $2896
72" $3344
shipping not included

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Generate very little heat...yea, what I thought too...well why the hell do they have duel fans on the end? Seems a little strange to me. Resisters put off heat when they provide resistance, but that many resisters and that much heat? What, did they put the transformers in there too?

I am not an electrician or even pretend to know much about electronics. I took it in HS and a class in college...enough to know it was not for me. All the same...hmmm. I thought the whole draws to LEDs were bulb lifetime *AND* low power consumption. 8/

-Ken

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
LEDs do have lower power consumption and normally are cool. Some do run hot but not normally. The fans must be needed for the transformer. I've been working in electronics for close to 20 years and something doesn't add up here.

Good idea! Get the price down!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
led's dont put out much heat, but a huge pack of big ones will, not to mention they have some sort of timers and such in there, probably some small programmable (and hackable) computer to control the moon cycles and clouds, if they simplify to just moons and lights, so it runs like a basic fixture, that would probably make them alot cheaper too. i know some folks with led knowledge. wonder if they can string some together to match this.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I spoke with one of the testers during the Beta phase. the fans are there because you do get some heat off the back of the board but in the end it is nothing compared to MH lights. PFO actually set one on a nano in the office without a heater and the temp in the water stayed at room temp the whole time so the important thing is the light does not heat your water. they also got some good par values out of it with some good growth from what i have heard. I agree the initial cost is high... but in the end it is less than MH over that period. if you don't have the money to try it thats fine... just don't knock it till you have a reason to. :D

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
im def not knocking it, im exited, ive heard about this before, the price is high, but it will come down, more companies will jump on it if it is a good product.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
I'm not knocking anything but the price. They do have to recoup the test and design of the thing, but $3344 for a 72 inch fixture is way too high! Like everything else, I'm sure it will come down. I just think they probably will hurt their initial sales because of the price.

LED technology is old in anything but the Reef Community. I'm sure it will work out for them and all of us in the long run. I just bought a $1400 fixture myself recently and would have certainly considered this one if it wasn't so pricey.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to wait a few years to see how good they really are, right now the only thing going for it is that its from PFO.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
rip off city
it just looks like one big headache to opperate
3,000 bux for a light??? if i were married to donald trump id say ok why not try it. ahh these gimmicks, what will they think of next
so the real reason to buy this is so we dont have to change a light bulb for the next 13 years???
i bet the warranty on that baby is only a year :rolleyes: and it breaks down after that :eek: :agree: then all ya have is a 3,000 dollar lesson
it looks like a bunch of inverted tea lights :lol:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts