The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every time I try to take care of the tank I end up doing more harm.
While cleaning the tank yesterday, I'm pretty sure I scratched the trunk of my pulsing xenia. It has a whitish scratch on it, and has almost completely coiled up. It's been over 24hrs and seems worse now.
Do I leave it in or remove it? I really want to keep it, because it had been doing wonderful since we got it, and it has a patch of polyps that we got as a bonus when we bought it.
Just wondering if it will harm anything else if it is stressed or dies?
I am assuming there is nothing I can do(treat it with anything) accept wait and see
Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so this morning I think it has finally had it
it went from being about 3inc high and 3inches across to the now shrivelled size of a small bouncy ball or walnut and is completely lying down on the bottom

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so at what point do I take it out, it's shrivelled up to the size of a walnut and bent 90 degrees lying on the sand bed, will it kill the polyps that are attached to the same rock, I already have an algae problem and dont want a rotting coral to add to the problem
anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I would leave it. Xenia is a funny coral. The tiniest fragment of xenia can bounce back and grow like mad.

I would suspect that something done during the cleaning caused the xenia to react more than a scratch to the surface. I have fragged many xenias with razors, scissors and even just ripping the base apart. It always bounces back.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would leave it. Xenia is a funny coral. The tiniest fragment of xenia can bounce back and grow like mad.

I would suspect that something done during the cleaning caused the xenia to react more than a scratch to the surface. I have fragged many xenias with razors, scissors and even just ripping the base apart. It always bounces back.
ok I'll leave it for now, it's weird though, I know I scratched it but now where the scratch is it is bent 90 degrees, almost like if you have an unstable bone fracture , it just seems to have snapped

·
Administrator
46,675 Posts
You could always just snip it off above the injured site and see it the base regrows. Xenia normally grows like a weed for most people, I was never one that it grew for

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts

Agreed...I prune mine with scissors too...take the pieces I've cut off and throw them in the frag tank...they find a rock (or the glass) and reattach...I would bet it will bounce back...my Xenia has taken over the entire left side of the tank...it's hard to tell scale in this pic, but for reference this is a 6' long tank...all of that to the left of the yellow tang is Xenia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts