The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought me a new leather for fathers day however I have never seen a leather quite like this ... I am thinking its a cabbage leather ... but not 100% sure .. can someone give me a positive identification?

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
i just found a photo of a thin finger leather on foster and smith. here is the photo.

i guess it is really hard to ID without any polyps extended.

ok once again this is not my photo.

once again after looking at your photos, the fingers look alot thinner then what would be a finger leather. so it may be a type of cabbage leather, if i remember right cabbage leather are smooth with no polyp extension.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts

The Cabbage Leather Coral is also referred to as Flat Leather Coral, Flower Leather Coral, or Carpet Coral. It is found in a variety of colors, usually tan to brown with lighter striations. Its flat, lobed appearance resembles a cabbage leaf.

plaese note :the a devil hand coral is also called a cabbage coral
not to mention the flower cabbage too Lobophytum sp.
and you also have the Sinularia dura.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Greetings reefers!

Very nice coral! And nice size as well. As to the Identification...it is not a cabbage leather which is a sinularia dura. But in fact is of the family of lobophytum, better known as a crown leather. Very nice piece, i have several in my tanks, all from one mother colonie, very easy to propagate.

Happy Reefing!
Doc

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
has the coral changed any?
can you geta good macro shot?

see, this is the problem there are quite a few "cabbage" corals out there , include in this the "lettuce" corals too.. it is possible it could be Pectinia maxima ,those type usalluy stay a dark green or brownish color sometime even a gray look to. the Pectinia are called , lettuce, cabbage, carnation,spiny cup...
then look at the Merulina .

·
Registered
10 Posts
A pavona is a hard coral...sps...I have one of those as well...

This is a softy...a lobophytum..trust me...I have one...and am very qualified in the identification of coral species....

Above a few posts Tim gave a nice shot of the traditional cabbage leather, a sinularia dura....but this coral in question is 100% not a sinularia dura...

Its common name is a crown leather...

Doc

·
Registered
10 Posts
make sure its facing upwards not on its side like in first pics...put up higher faceup....then give it plenty of flow...you should see it moving in the currant when open/expanded....it can die real easy in low flow, low light or laying on its side....very hardy once acclimated...

Doc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts