The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! With so much talk on sps coral tanks anymore I think alot of softies have gotten lost in the shuffle! I eventually will probably go to sps dominated tank as well if I can successfully keep my sps frags alive and growing! I believe MNreefman is in the transition of going to a sps tank! Anyways for those who see a beauty in leather corals post a pic here if you would like to do so! Here is my two finger leather corals(the one on the left is a Sinularia sp and feels very leathery and the one on the right is Sinularia flexibilis and feels very slimey to the touch. They look so much alike but are very different!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most leather corals will do this as they prepare to shed a thin outer layer to rid themselves of detritous that falls on them. They looked terrible for a few days and then once the outer layer is shed they come back more beautiful than ever!

I sometimes help the coral along and take a turkey blaster and blow some of the thin layer off them when you see it waving in the water!

Tip: Placing them in a higher current area helps reduce the times they will shed their outer layer!;)

I can't say for sure this is what is happening to your coral but watch it for a few days and see!

Also some leather corals will totally collaspe and not recover and there is no explanation really why this happens!

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
At this point I would continue to watch the coral and maybe increase water flow to the area. If it continues for a couple of weeks or more the tissue will become cheesy and degenerate instead of renewing. There will be areas where holes and rotting tissue begin to appear on the capitulum and the stalk.

Just have some patience and make sure your tank conditions are good and have a steady water flow to the coral.

If worst comes to worst you could cut away the affected areas and this could stop the progression of the disease and rely on the healing powers of the coral. The advantage of this is you treat the outward sign of disease and not the cause if as I stated above if your tank conditions are not good and water flow is not steady to the coral. HTH :)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm not sure of the garlic dose being to much and maybe someone more knowledgeable about the affects of garlic dosage can help here!:)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
"J" crowd is people's first name begins with J

CLR is people who have clams Clam Loving Reefer

BRW is for the women on this forum! They will spell it out for ya!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.