The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! With so much talk on sps coral tanks anymore I think alot of softies have gotten lost in the shuffle! I eventually will probably go to sps dominated tank as well if I can successfully keep my sps frags alive and growing! I believe MNreefman is in the transition of going to a sps tank! Anyways for those who see a beauty in leather corals post a pic here if you would like to do so! Here is my two finger leather corals(the one on the left is a Sinularia sp and feels very leathery and the one on the right is Sinularia flexibilis and feels very slimey to the touch. They look so much alike but are very different!:)

Attachments

G

·
GAH! why do you alway capitolise the MN in mnreefman?
anyways J~ nice pic....and can we expect 5 more from you befroe i got to bed tonight!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Clint I promise I won't post another pic for a month! Happy now!!:cool:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*cough* *cough* Thanks for the compliment I think!!:confused:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thoes? It never ends!!:D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your so cool ClinK!:p

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Second one looks like a sponge! Very nice pics!!:)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice leather corals and pics! Anymore?:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Whats wrong

The cabbage leaf leather I posted yesterday(my first leather pic) is drawn up and firm looking. What happened?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most leather corals will do this as they prepare to shed a thin outer layer to rid themselves of detritous that falls on them. They looked terrible for a few days and then once the outer layer is shed they come back more beautiful than ever!

I sometimes help the coral along and take a turkey blaster and blow some of the thin layer off them when you see it waving in the water!

Tip: Placing them in a higher current area helps reduce the times they will shed their outer layer!;)

I can't say for sure this is what is happening to your coral but watch it for a few days and see!

Also some leather corals will totally collaspe and not recover and there is no explanation really why this happens!

Keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts