The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the yellow spots on Leather corals?

I've gotten these problems a few times where my leather started dieing off... I read somewhere that the leather actually sheds skin. Well, my experience is usually when the yellow spots form on the leather, it starts shedding skin or "dissolving" as I would call it. The only way for me to save them after this starts happening is to pick up the coral and actually scrape the shedding skin (infected area) off which sometimes would cause the coral to recover.

It almost looks like an infection of some sort... I read that this is actually part of the cycle... Is that true? Does not make sense to me and almost impossible to believe... But I have eventually lost corals when this starts happening bad...

Any ideas? similar experiences?

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
When a leather sheds it tends to get an all over waxy look to it and with in a few days a clear film is shed - yellow disolveing spots doesn't sound like normal shedding to me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No,it's not the normal shedding. I have had this happen to one of mine and I did a disinfecting dip several times and after a few weeks it came back. The yellow spot was almost powdery in our case. I got all recommendations including frag a little and throw the rest away. Glad I didn't as it is big and beautiful and healthy now. I have also heard of nudi's ( sorry I know this is a family site) burrowing inside leathers. I scraped open the yellow area to see if that was the case and it wasn't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
this happened to me as well. i ended up giving it to a friend who eventually saved it. but it is not normal shedding that is for sure.

·
The Watcher
2,046 Posts
I have read that it is caused by Alleopathy. My toadstool did the same thing, the yellow spots eventually turned into black scabby looking things and the polyps had not extended for 3-4 weeks. I ended up scraping them off and moving it to my nano where it promptly recovered, polyps extended in two days. Not sure if something in my main tank was hitting it with chemical warfare, but as soon as it was moved it healed right up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i don't keep leathers anymore...not directly because of my incident but it helped my decision. the person who took my leather (a toadstool) in question, put it in a dedicated leather tank. so i would lend merit to the theory. not sure if i should mention i run carbon actively though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts