The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently brought home this "Devil's Hand" leather coral as a gift from my LFS. After acclimation it seemed to be doing just find but soon began to shrink down to about half its original size. I did a relatively light water change and upgraded my light (which needed to be done anyway) and it appears to have improved slightly but now seems to be shedding a clear film.
I assume it is shedding its slime coat and that was the reason for shrinkage in the first place. Should I do anything to help it along? Direct my powerhead onto it to blast off some of the film? wave at it with a spoon?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is my first non-zoanthid coral so any advice would be great ^-^;

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, however I now have another problem with the leather developing. I saw in another thread a user talking about a brown algae growing on the foot of the coral. I had thought that was part of the slime-shedding so i with this new information in mind i lightly scraped it off. Under where the algae was the coral is now a pale pink/brown and has the feeling of rough, dry, old leather.

My guess is that the foot has died but my question is whether the coral as a whole will be okay now? Will it recover and regenerate or do I have to start fragging it out in a desperate attempt to salvage it?

·
Administrator
18,786 Posts
In my experience damage to the foot can be quite devastating for leather corals. However, I have found that you can fragged off a section of the coral and it will grow back. The original fragged usually dies but the new frag seems to do okay.
I think the reason is that the damage to the foot her column eventually spreads to the rest of the coral and not that it actually is because the entire coral is affected.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea the coral has developed a bend, the foot has clearly dead and it looks like ill have to frag it. I was thinking of slicing it about a half inch above where the damage is and making a new frag just below the 'fingers'.
I, however, have never fragged a piece with such a large base. How would I go about safely fragging it? Or would it be easier just to make 5-6 small finger frags?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts